Sabayon Kernel 2.6.21-r2 compile failure... missing header?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

pxc
Growing Hen

Sabayon Kernel 2.6.21-r2 compile failure... missing header?

Post by pxc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:25

Hey everybody! It's been a while since I've posted on these forums. Anyway, here's my issue.

I'm testing out a wireless card for a good friend of mine, and the Windows drivers, quite frankly, suck. The card is an Airlink "AWLH3206T," which seems no different from the regular AWLH3026 wireless PCI card. The chipset manufacturer, RaLink, apparently opened the source to their drivers for the chipset (rt61), but quite frankly, those drivers (and the open drivers based off of them) suck. The only way to do configuration is before using "ipconfig <interface> up" on the card (ra0), and it's all done in a stupid binary configuration file--that you have to edit in Vi.

The project page of those drivers says that the next generation drivers, "rt2x00" fit better into Linux and will use the standard configuration utilities. Naturally, I want to give those a shot. However, those drivers fail to compile, saying that they need the 802.11 subsystem built into the kernel (as opposed to modularized). I'll re-attempt emerging that package if you need me to, and we'll see exactly what they say.

So... to try to compile a compatible kernel, I did each of the following, in order (as root, naturally):

Code: Select all

layman -sn sabayon #the n option just tells layman not to fetch the list of available overlays--it was taking too long and i got impatient. shouldn't affect this.
emerge -v sabayon-sources #I used the symlink USE flag, so this is indeed where /usr/src/linux points to
genkernel --menuconfig --bootloader=grub --bootsplash all
In menuconfig, I did a very minimal amount of poking around to compile the 802.11 subsystem into the kernel, and then exited.

That's it, folks. I'll attach both my /usr/src/linux/.config and /var/log.genkernel.log.

Thanks in advance for your help!

pxc
Growing Hen

Post by pxc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:29

Attached to this post is a zipped form of my genkernel log.

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Sat Jun 09, 2007 23:14

Not sure but I saw 802.11 was already in the 3.4loop2b kernel.

If you have a good working kernel just ad a module at boot time and this will save you hours of compiling.

I found that messing too much with the kernel is a good recipy for trouble.

"make xconfig" is also much easier to use.

Like you said it is likely a buggy driver / module / firmware.

If ifconfig ra0 up is the problem I have seen with 3.4loop2b that mdsnresponder and avahi missing / unmerged stops it from auto gettting a ip.

LOL avahi and mdnsresponder blocks each other during emerge , weard.

Did you try the "rc-update add ra0 default" and then restart ?

When I get stuck I go to the gentoo.org manual / help pages and do it similar to the net setup they have for a from scratch gentoo linux version and or check my config against theirs to make sure everything works.

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Sat Jun 09, 2007 23:19

Code: Select all

/var/tmp/genkernel/5668.5412.23516.9838/busybox-1.1.3+gentoo/libbb/procps.c:15:22: error: asm/page.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [/var/tmp/genkernel/5668.5412.23516.9838/busybox-1.1.3+gentoo/libbb/procps.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.4.6[0m
* Running with options: --menuconfig --bootloader=grub --bootsplash all

* ERROR: Failed to compile the "all" target...
Not sure but it looks like the bottle neck comes in at busybox.

Try the unofficial how-to from Dave-mc I think as there is options to resume and skipfirst to go as far as it can and then you can just redo busybox / problematic compile prog's .
It should be in general or x86 on top as a sticky.

Not sure if you can try the same compile options but with adding prettend as this might show you what is the problem.
Then you can unmerge the problem / busybox or emerge it to a working version prior to a whole kernel compile by using update and deep.