My Unofficial Guide to a Stable System World Update

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Red Knuckles » Sun Jun 03, 2007 21:54

wolfden wrote:first try emerge --sync && layman -S

than try

Thanks, that got most things updated. the 'sys-libs/liblazy-0.1' package is still showing an incorrect checksum [3 or 4 days now]. These are packages that won't and haven't updated for a few days now:

# emerge -upD --world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] sys-libs/liblazy-0.1
[ebuild N ] media-sound/timidity++-2.13.2-r4 USE="X alsa arts flac jack ncurses portaudio speex vorbis -ao -emacs -esd -gtk -motif -nas -oss -slang -tk"
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kicker-3.5.7-r10 [3.5.7] USE="beagle%*"

For 'media-sound/timidity++'

make[2]: *** [portaudio_a.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-sound/timidity++-2.13.2-r4 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1621: Called dyn_compile
ebuild.sh, line 973: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
timidity++-2.13.2-r4.ebuild, line 118: Called die

For 'kde-base/kicker-3.5.7-r10':

make[2]: *** [libkdeinit_kicker.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kicker-3.5.7-r10/work/kicker-3.5.7/kicker/kicker'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kicker-3.5.7-r10/work/kicker-3.5.7/kicker/kicker'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kicker-3.5.7-r10 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1621: Called dyn_install
ebuild.sh, line 1067: Called qa_call 'src_install'
ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_install
ebuild.sh, line 1311: Called kde-meta-suse_src_install
kde-meta-suse.eclass, line 388: Called kde-meta-suse_src_install 'make' 'dodoc'
kde-meta-suse.eclass, line 396: Called die

Where can I find out what error codes mean [ie. ERROR 1]? And what the other errors mean? Or is it possible that the other 2 packages depend on 'sys-libs/liblazy-0.1'?
SL 3.4a AMD64, Gentoo2007.0 AMD64 - ASUS M2NPV-VM - AMD64 X2 4800+ 2.5 Ghz - 4X1GB DDR2 800 - GeForce 6150 256MB - 2X320GB
Red Knuckles
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Jun 03, 2007 22:25

I believe for timidity++ you have to uninstall portaudio than install timidity than portaudio. If you don't use either, just dump em both.

1/2 the stuff that fails on me, I don't need and just emerge -C it. If you need it than try that solution.

Place to look for solutions is Gentoo Bugzilla and Gentoo Forum. You are gonna have to learn how to be a detective and do effective searches. You can guarantee if you are having an issues, someone else on the planet is having same issue and sometimes you just have to wait till a solution presents itself. You may have to wait on portage to correct something also.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Red Knuckles » Sun Jun 03, 2007 23:41

wolfden wrote:I believe for timidity++ you have to uninstall portaudio than install timidity than portaudio. If you don't use either, just dump em both.

1/2 the stuff that fails on me, I don't need and just emerge -C it. If you need it than try that solution.

Place to look for solutions is Gentoo Bugzilla and Gentoo Forum. You are gonna have to learn how to be a detective and do effective searches. You can guarantee if you are having an issues, someone else on the planet is having same issue and sometimes you just have to wait till a solution presents itself. You may have to wait on portage to correct something also.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Red Knuckles on Tue Jul 24, 2007 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Red Knuckles
Growing Hen

Postby smolloy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48

Really great write-up wolfden. I'm making good progress with it at the moment, but I have a suggestion for an addition to the writeup. When the user does the following,
Code: Select all
emerge -uN world || until emerge --resume --skipfirst; do emerge --resume --skipfirst; done
This will pull in hundreds of packages the first time. In my case it was over 800 (I'm using the DVD version). The chances that some of these packages will fail due to a bad d/load, or some other dumb reason is quite high, so I'd recommend running that command twice in order to pick up these "dumb" failures.

Maybe you could add that to your guide?
smolloy
Simple Hen

Postby smolloy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 13:12

I'm stuck on "emerge -uDN --world". There were quite a few problems to fix, but I can't get past this one. Gnome-base/gnome is bringing in epiphany as a dependency, but epiphany doesn't install properly. The emerge errors out with an access violation.

I tried getting around this with emerge -C epiphany, but that didn't work as gnome seems to depend on it. Is there a way to remove epiphany as one of gnome's dependencies?

Maybe this is simply a case of waiting, then emerge --sync, and try again?
smolloy
Simple Hen

Postby smolloy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 20:27

I searched before making my last post, but I neglected to search the gentoo bugzilla. I just found the solution at http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=126253 -- the fix in comment 38 worked for me.
smolloy
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jun 05, 2007 0:42

Yes as I said, the gentoo bugzilla and forum are great assets as you will always find someone with same problem eventually.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby smolloy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:25

wolfden wrote:Yes as I said, the gentoo bugzilla and forum are great assets as you will always find someone with same problem eventually.
Agreed. I normally preach to people about searching properly, so I'm a little embarrassed to have fallen foul of that rule myself :oops:

One more recommendation for people going through this process. Unmerge openoffice at the start, or you'll end up compiling it multiple times, and, with a ~5 hour compile time, that is very time consuming. I've just started revdep-rebuild, and have discovered that I have to compile openoffice for the third f**king time!! :roll:

I should have done "emerge -C openoffice" as the very first step, and "emerge openoffice-bin" as the very last.
smolloy
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:55

yes, do the openoffice-bin
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:34

wolfden wrote:I believe for timidity++ you have to uninstall portaudio than install timidity than portaudio. If you don't use either, just dump em both.

Just a word of warning to those reading the above who are trying to install the latest version of timidity++:

If you do:

Code: Select all
emerge -C portaudio
emerge -u timidity++
emerge portaudio

it will break Open Office 2.2.0. This is because /usr/lib/openoffice/program/libvclplug_gen680lx.so (ditto for /usr/lib64/...) requires libportaudio.so.2. This I know because it happened to me. You'll then need to revdep-rebuild -X (I have not had the chance to try the latter yet to be sure it fixes OOo, as I'm not using my own PC at the moment).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers