I'm new to Sabayon. I just installed it on my laptop and I got everything (including my Optimus setup using Bumblebee) working. However, I'm a bit disappointing about how Portage and Entropy work together (they don't, if I understand it correctly).
I was under the impression that it worked just like the package management in FreeBSD, and that is as follows: if build a package from the Ports (= source tree, ebuild-like) it builds a package and installs it as a binary package in the binary package management. It is a single system and you can mix binary packages with source-built.
In Sabayon this doesn't seem to work however. For example, when I try to emerge Thunderbird, it fails because a dependency is already installed in Entropy (I think):
- Code: Select all
* Detected file collision(s):
* Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
* Press Ctrl-C to Stop
* Package 'app-crypt/pinentry-0.8.3' NOT merged due to file collisions.
* If necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole content of the
* above message.
- How do I fix this?
- If it isn't possible or impractical to do so, can I use Portage only? How?
(cross-posted from http://www.reddit.com/r/sabayon/comment ... t_portage/ because I didn't get a reply there)