Has sulfur been dropped?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Has sulfur been dropped?

Postby tekwyzrd » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:34

I see after recent updates manual removal is recommended. Has sulfur been dropped? If so I guess it's time to start searching for a replacement for Sabayon. With all due respect, I'll never understand how Rigo is viewed as an improvement over Sulfur. Rigo falls short in many ways including the fact it doesn't show whether a package is installed or not - you have to click on the entry to determine this. Then there's the fact that you set up a group of apps to install - selecting install starts a countdown. Abort, then start again and it indicates the app is installing. Is it? I have no way of knowing if it's doing anything. Exit Rigo and re-start it to find out the app didn't install. I honestly considered making a contribution but I can't justify it if Rigo will be the only graphical package manager offered.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Re: Has sulfur been dropped?

Postby Ralph_Ellis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:56

Sulfur was always better at installing large numbers of packages and was a big help when first setting up a system. Rigo is better suited to installing individual packages. Once the system is set up, I prefer using equo for updates and installing new packages or meta packages.
You can build Sulfur from source with emerge but it does not run properly.
Ralph_Ellis
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Tue Dec 10, 2013 14:19

Sulfur has been dropped and will no longer work with the current entropy codebase.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Ralph_Ellis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 20:56

For doing installations of large numbers of packages, I have gravitated towards searching for packages on the online database and cutting and pasting them into an equo command. Anything that is already installed will of course not install. Equo also has some nice search functions. To find the "super" packages, I usually just do a search for anything with "meta" in the name. Unless you are doing a full kitchen sink install with every possible package, this only has to be done once and updates take care of the rest. I do not believe that Equo supports wild cards, unlike yum, but that could be a safety feature. Would you really want every perl or python package known to man installed at one time?
Ralph_Ellis
Baby Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Tue Dec 10, 2013 23:37

:( Time to rely on entropy via commands and look for a replacement for Sabayon. Installing software via rigo is like filling a car's gas tank using a bucket and eyedropper - it can be done but there are better ways of doing it.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby joost » Tue Dec 10, 2013 23:45

I never missed Sulfur since Rigo was born... What part on Rigo is really hard to get?

Perhaps make your personal list of things that should be implemented and hey it just might. :D
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:28

Multi-pane display to show categories and apps they contain and descriptions, install status (if app is currently installed) without clicking on the entry, and the ability to add apps to queue for install to start. I'm sorry, but for me using rigo is like searching a clearance bin at a discount store or searching for something on ebay where they've 'improved' the site by eliminating sub-categories.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:13

Eh. You can never please everyone. Sorry that you greatly preferred sulfur over rigo, but package management is much more than just the frontend. I personally think ditching a distro over the graphical frontend is a bit naive. Regardless, it seems that most novice users like rigo and most advanced users prefer the command line. It seems you happen to fall through the cracks. It's unfortunate, but the devs can only do so much to support such a small subset of users.

But hey, an excuse to go distro hopping! If you find a distro that you really like (package management GUI and all) please report back to this thread. Maybe having such an example will help shape future feature enhancements. At the very least, it should give users who have similar frustrations a place to look.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby sqlpython » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:22

As a long time active user of each Sulfur, Entropy, Portage & now Rigo I have also formulated likes and dislikes.
One of the attractions for me as far back as 2006 with my early installs of Sabayon was Entropy. Entropy is a brilliant package manager. As such I continue to happily use it from the CLI when needed. However I use it less often these days with the event of Rigo. I simply like the way Rigo works. I find Rigo operates more quickly. I often found Sulfur painfully slow. So, I would resort to the CLI more often. These days with the event of Rigo I use Entropy on the CLI so seldom that I have to refer to a reference at times. I get my Portage exercises by using a Calculate install. Portage is very powerful and interesting but I see Entropy as a step forward in evolution.

Rigo for me is intuitive, Fast, and has the Installed package list, lots of package detail and did I say Fast.
As far as viewing package as to installed or not via a click. I just click Once and then using my Down Arrow Key rip through the list that I had presented by my typed query. The Installs and Removes just fly by and I find that very fast as they highlight individually each highlighted selection seems to flash like a Neon sign to my senses... Very Nice!

Anyway, to each their own. Just want to state that I find Rigo to be an improvement.
Edit: Typo
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Wed Dec 11, 2013 20:08

I did a large portion of my installs via equo but liked the fact that sulfur had readily available package descriptions and information and made it easy to select a group of apps to install or upgrade. When an upgrade becomes available it was nice to be able to break down the large number of packages into smaller groups and install 40 or 50 packages at a time rather than a group of up to 240 at one time. Sulfur's functions were readily available but most of Rigo's functions aren't.

This may be bit oversimplistic but installing software is a bit like taking a road trip. Rigo is like a VW Beetle - a small, simple vehicle that would be relatively easy to maintain. Sulfur is like a Cadillac - a large vehicle with many options that could take a bit more time and effort to maintain. Does smaller and simpler make the VW superior to the Cadillac? For short trips, maybe, but for long distances I'd prefer the Cadillac.

FWIW, the first three distributions I'll be trying are Bridge and BlueStar (both arch based) and Mageia.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers