Has sulfur been dropped?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Has sulfur been dropped?

Postby sqlpython » Wed Dec 11, 2013 23:25

^ Well, Your reasons for preferring Sulfur, whatever they may be are sufficient as they are preference.

But to comment further, You may notice from my signature that I am a Bridge / Arch user. Matter of fact since about 5/2012 and a moderator / contributor. I like Bridge as an Arch as it uses strictly the Arch Repositories.
You can't say that for ArchBang, Chakra, Manjaro, nor Antergos. Each has added some form of it's own repository. Bridge is Arch with some additional Post Install scripts to allow choices to add or not add Java, Printing, Bluetooth, LibreOffice, Flash and some Broadcom. Other then that you are just using the Arch Installer.
So, it you want Arch without the tedious install then Bridge / Arch.
I have read on BlueStar seems good but I am not certain as to it's repository differences nor added packages.

With Bridge like it's parent Arch you get No GUI package Manager. You use pacman from the CLI. Also like Arch No Update notifications. You check yourself as it is with Arch. Of course You can install apps for Package Management and Notifications your choice as with Arch. In this way Bridge & it's Parent Arch are like Native Gentoo or even GNU Debian.

Edit: I would add by reading your requirements and finding you a long time satisfied Sabayon User then I would have to say that you are a discerning Linux user. Therefore if Sabayon / Gentoo is a standard that you choose then You may be disappointed by Mageia. Primarily IMO from the standpoint of user control and performance.. I would congratulate Mageia for trying to be everything. Definitely a lot of effort going on there..
If You like Windows then You will like Mageia.
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:06

My primary selections of Bridge and BlueStar was influenced by their use of the standard Arch repositories and view their relation to Arch as similar to Sabayon's relation to gentoo. I did look at the others you mention but ruled them out due to their customizations and inability to use the original arch repositories. As for pacman, there are several GUIs available that I plan to try out. My inclusion of Mageia was simple curiosity as to how it compares.

Over the years I've used Red Hat (pre fedora) SuSE and openSUSE and tried Ubuntu, CentOS, Knoppix, and a few others I can't remember but since 2006 I've been running Sabayon. With a few exceptions it has done very well. There have been occasional problems like upgrades changing the default kernel or opengl selection but I now make a habit of using eselect to check the opengl, opencl, kernel, and bzimage selected after every upgrade.

The selection of Rigo and elimination of Sulfur was just the latest of a number of disappointing changes to Sabayon. In the past I've reported bugs that were marked 'won't fix', requested package additions that were rejected, and at one point commented on the removal of the ability to select categories in Sulfur and have the packages it contains displayed. I was told to expect that feature to return in a future release but it never did. Now Sulfur itself is gone. Entropy is good, but as I said for large numbers of package updates I like to break it up into groups and the easiest way to do so is via Sulfur.

Why does this matter? I no longer have dsl and currently rely on tethering my unlimited data android phone to my computer. If I get a call or have to make a call downloads are interrupted. It's a bit of an inconvenience to have a large package download interrupted, resume, fail the checks, and re-download. By grouping the downloads I can upgrade a group of smaller packages when interruptions are more likely to happen and do the larger package downloads at night when interruption is unlikely to happen.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby sqlpython » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:49

Why does this matter? I no longer have dsl and currently rely on tethering my unlimited data android phone to my computer. If I get a call or have to make a call downloads are interrupted. It's a bit of an inconvenience to have a large package download interrupted, resume, fail the checks, and re-download.

Ok, that really does clear it up ..... :|

Your reasons for choosing Bridge and BlueLinux as candidates are the same as mine... original Arch repositories..
Don't know a thing about BlueLinux installation. I assume they use the Arch curses interface. However the Bridge Post Install Scripts brings a new install up to speed more quickly.. Read over the Bridge Forums and the How Tos at those same forums..
Bridge is in process of putting out and Cleaning up some Up to date iso snapshots. So, I would wait a bit or you will be doing a lot of updating from the 6/2013 iso
Good Luck
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Sat Dec 14, 2013 21:10

In the period since my previous post I have done a bit of re-organizing, re-partitioned drives, and installed and updated both Bridge and BlueStar. In the process I deleted my Sabayon install but am currently downloading the .iso to reinstall in a new location. Both of the Arch installs are using the nouveau drivers and seem to be very modest in their resource consumption compared to what my previous install of Sabayon was using. I plan to switch the Bridge install to using the nvidia proprietary drivers first due to the smaller number of packages installed compared to BlueStar. If that goes well I'll switch BlueStar to the nvidia drivers and compare their performance to that of Sabayon. BlueStar comes with a good number of apps included so it would be relatively simple to create an installed version similar to what I run in Sabayon. One thing that impressed me is the fact the packages installed on an Arch based distribution are often significantly smaller than the ones installed on Sabayon.

Update: both Arch installs are now running the nvidia drivers.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby sqlpython » Sun Dec 15, 2013 21:24

^ Good
We should probably start another thread for this discussion Or Post on the Bridge Forums
Anyhow in response...
The Latest Bridge Testing for which there is a Forum thread and iso link to download there is an oversight regarding the nouveau drivers as some/all are missing. The oversight is being addressed.
Pacman package manager and the Arch package system is certainly the Center Piece for an Arch install. The best part of Arch. Also the reason that Arch is so responsive is that it starts you with a little or nothing install and then your build on it. All and All a good distro.
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 22:34

The BlueStar distribution has a number of versions. I installed the KDE desktop which included most of the apps I usually install. I had to add kaffeine, k3b and a few associated packages, and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. It includes PacmanXG, which is overall not a bad gui package manager. It doesn't freeze like Rigo has done four times so far today. See you on the Bridge forum.
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby lxnay » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:30

Can we try to stay on topic? Thanks
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Previous

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers