OK I'm dense but when they say emerge --sync ONLY once a day

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

OK I'm dense but when they say emerge --sync ONLY once a day

Postby joe3 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 23:48

I can't believe this is the first time this has been asked but I tried an advanced search for this forum that was supposed to match everything that contained all these terms " emerge --sync once day " and didn't find anything bout the gentoo netiquette that one should only do sync once a day...

My question seams stupid to me, but I'm not sure... IF I have more than one sabayon instalation using the same broadband internet connection. ( I do currently have Sabayon on both my laptop and my desktop...) Can I be sure that it won't look like I'm abusing the once a day thing if I sync both of them every day???

And while I'm fairly confident that the IP trace would show someone who understands it that the laptop is using a different router connection to the cable modem, I also sometimes have more than one copy of a distro installed on the same PC...
Like when I'm thinking of doing something that might break something else I might well install another copy of the linux in question to test the idea before I risk breaking the installation I've actualy using... If I do that with sabayon, and durring an extended testing period, do a daily sync of more than one sabayon installation on the same pc using the same exact ethernet card->router connection -> cable modem etc... Is that likely to triger the temporary ban I get warned about every time I do an emerge --sync ????

Like I said, the question might make me sound dumb, but when I don't know, well I just don't know...

--
joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: OK I'm dense but when they say emerge --sync ONLY once a day

Postby Thev00d00 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 0:13

abuse is exactly that, you would have to be syncing hundreds of machines many times a day for it to be noticed at all. Syncing two machines twice a day is completely fine
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: OK I'm dense but when they say emerge --sync ONLY once a day

Postby joe3 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:13

Thanks! that was what I'd hoped to here...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers