Huh! 244 Updates

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Huh! 244 Updates

Postby sqlpython » Sun Aug 31, 2008 0:44

The update applet said 226 updates. Seemed like too many but I wanted to play it out and see what happened.
Once I started it changed to 244 updates.
The new install is for Sabayon 3.5 amd64 burned over one month ago.
At this point 3hrs later and an install that has grown to 17gb and the update applet says that only 20% of the updates are installed.
Also the indicator says 90/244 updates. So in package numbers I am about 1/3 through. I estimate that the continued download with fill the 30 gb partition.
.......So can someone explain just what is considered standard in regard to updates and install size. Other Distros would update only that which has changed.
Will there be a clean up reducing the installed source size like a make clean?

Thanks for the help.
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Re: Huh! 244 Updates

Postby albfneto » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:14

i havein mind that sbayon save the list of the packs of portage and entropy,in your hard disk, and this list is large!
Also, it mantain the source code inthe comp, after compiled....
the large number of packs that you see, is tha maximum number and is stores as list. teh system cannot download and install all of then, but only that the system needs,but the list is large and uses Hd space...
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Darksurf » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:08

You may not know this but linux is in a transitioning period. We have had many updates that we didn't install due to flaws. Such as KDE 4.1 for example. It was just release not too long ago, but because of the flaws we didn't replace KDE 3.5 with KDE4 . But now that KDE 4 is slowing getting to speed it isn't as bad now. It is possible that it is the same scenario for a whole bunch of apps. It just wasn't worth the problems for the upgrade. Now that the apps are proven a little more stable and trust worthy they put put in entropy for updates. Due to lack of internet at my house I have been unable to update my computer since I originally installed Sabayon 3.5 . I had 349 updates. I had to leave my laptop at my parents house overnight to complete updates. Usually as long as you stay on top of updates there are no problems.

I've been with Sabayon a long time and am a Beta Tester. If you want to stay bleeding edge, you have to constantly run updates ;) Linux grows really fast. Not necessarily in size, but in code maturity. Things get better with more features, or stability, etc.
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby sqlpython » Sun Aug 31, 2008 18:42

If you want to stay bleeding edge, you have to constantly run updates ;) Linux grows really fast. Not necessarily in size, but in code maturity. Things get better with more features, or stability, etc.

Thanks.. Yes I was getting the idea that this was all heading for bleeding edge. Hours and gbytes later I killed it.
As this was a new install I reinstalled and will strive for stable. I like runs great / less filling :)
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Aug 31, 2008 18:57

Darksurf wrote:You may not know this but linux is in a transitioning period. We have had many updates that we didn't install due to flaws. Such as KDE 4.1 for example. It was just release not too long ago, but because of the flaws we didn't replace KDE 3.5 with KDE4 . But now that KDE 4 is slowing getting to speed it isn't as bad now. It is possible that it is the same scenario for a whole bunch of apps. It just wasn't worth the problems for the upgrade. Now that the apps are proven a little more stable and trust worthy they put put in entropy for updates. Due to lack of internet at my house I have been unable to update my computer since I originally installed Sabayon 3.5 . I had 349 updates. I had to leave my laptop at my parents house overnight to complete updates. Usually as long as you stay on top of updates there are no problems.

I've been with Sabayon a long time and am a Beta Tester. If you want to stay bleeding edge, you have to constantly run updates ;) Linux grows really fast. Not necessarily in size, but in code maturity. Things get better with more features, or stability, etc.

:shock:

Portage has updates everyday, if you don't update daily, you're gonna have a lot of updates. The longer you put it off, the more and more it gets. KDE4 isn't even in portage yet, that is why it's not in entropy. KDE4 should be out this week in portage and the plan is to get it into entropy right away.

It's not a transition, it's just normal portage. Also, if you have a ton of stuff install, the updates are even more.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers