circular dependencies, emerge portage. solved kinda

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

circular dependencies, emerge portage. solved kinda

Postby carpenterguy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 14:59

Hi
I have a couple of questions about updating. After emerge -sync I need to emerge portage and get the circular dependencies error. I have searched this forum and found the same error but it was solved by installing the DVD version.
I burned the DVD, and checked the md5 checksum. My only DVD burner is SATA and has problems booting live cd/dvd. Once sabayon is installed using a ide cd, DVD works fine. (drivers?)
Also entropy seems to work, but have not had any updates available for 2 weeks?
Anybody have suggestions on how I can fix the errors or a link? I have been using the gentoo handbook as I have it printed out. All it says is a possible bug and try again later.
Or A idea how I can get the DVD burner to boot?
Running 3.5 loop 3
carpenterguy
Young Hen

Re: circular dependencies, emerge portage. solved kinda

Postby carpenterguy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 17:37

Playing with entropy, I forced repositories update, I now have a ton of updates. Entropy is updating now, hope nothing breaks.
I still question my use of the gentoo handbook with sabayon. I have been using 3.4f for awhile, but never learned the cl as everything just works.
I have installed gentoo a couple of times on a old p-3 and got it to boot, why I have the handbook printed out. Just wondering if I am asking for trouble following the hand book to work on my sabayon box.
carpenterguy
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 30, 2008 17:40

the handbook applies to Sabayon

Entropy is the binary package manager developed by lxnay, so it won't be in the handbook. Our wiki has entropy info. It's a choice of which package manager you want to use.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby carpenterguy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 18:20

OK, thanks Wolfden.
After update I rebooted and all seems well. When I start spritz, it regenerates the cache and reports no updates available. I take this as a signal that all is well. Before spritz just started and displayed, no updates available.
Tried to emerge portage and get the circular dependencies error still. (Note that circular dependencies can often be avoided by temporarily disabling USE flags that trigger optional dependencies. ) As I have a long list of dependencies, not sure what use flags are safe to disable.
Back to the books I go.
carpenterguy
Young Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers