Emerge eclipse took up all disk space

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Emerge eclipse took up all disk space

Postby anujit » Fri Aug 22, 2008 21:09

I am new to these source based linux. I have used Ubuntu before and decided that I wanted to try Gentoo based system.
I installed DVD version of sabayon with 15 GB root Partition.
My goal is to use it mainly for JAVA development as I m trying to be windows free.
I installed JDK 6 successfully, got it set as main JVM using java-config
Then I was looking to install eclipse. When I looked at the Spritz package manager it showed me eclipse version 3.3
and when i did emerge -s eclipse it gave me 3 options with eclipse 3.4
So i decided to use emerge route.
Picked up the eclipse sdk and did emrge on it.
It kept on running for eternity and finally said low on disk space gave error and stopped. It actually consumed all 15 GB space
when I did df.
And now I m not sure how to proceed further.
I will try to post the actual commands I ran in some time

Another thing is I do see multiple versions of same software. How to get rid of old one ? Spritz doesnt show them, but I saw them on disk
anujit
Baby Hen

Re: Emerge eclipse took up all disk space

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 23, 2008 0:23

15gb, that's all??

Your DVD install probablly took 10-11gb

If you really want to run the dvd and have room to work, 40gb is needed.

Otherwise run the installer and choose core-install and go light weight. You have to understand that portage needs room to work and if you are to compile large programs the more it needs. I don't remember the exact numbers but if you compile like OpenOffice, portage will use several GBs to compile it. Remember you are downloading, extracting, compiling stuff and it needs the room to work.

With today's prices on hard drives, space should be the least of your problems - let it breath
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby anujit » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:55

Although I have used ubuntu before, I am still newbie to linux so plz forgive my ignorance.
I wasnt running on DVD, I had it installed using DVD, although I just clicked next all the way.
I understand that for compiling and installing it will need more space. But I m trying to install
it on my 60 GB HD for laptop. So its not that I have too much space also.
Can you tell me how should I partition the disk ?
anujit
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:02

Just to give you an idea of the sort of space you need, here's the current situation on my laptop according to KDiskFree. I have four partitions, as you can see in the table below.

Code: Select all
Partition_________Size__________Free_________Full%
/boot______________98.7 Mb______67.4 Mb______31.7%
/__________________22.6 Gb_______6.7 Gb______70.5%
/home______________47.3 Gb______35.0 Gb______26.1%
swap______________517.7 Mb

(I've used the "_" character to try and space out the table as otherwise the formatting by the forum software messes it up.)

All my documents, pictures, videos etc. are in my /home partition, so only OS files and packages are in the root directory (I've also merged several packages since I installed SL). So, as wolfden says, give yourself plenty of space on the HDD.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:52

anujit wrote:Although I have used ubuntu before, I am still newbie to linux so plz forgive my ignorance.
I wasnt running on DVD, I had it installed using DVD, although I just clicked next all the way.
I understand that for compiling and installing it will need more space. But I m trying to install
it on my 60 GB HD for laptop. So its not that I have too much space also.
Can you tell me how should I partition the disk ?

Yes I know u had it installed using DVD, that is why I said
Your DVD install probably took 10-11gbs

The installer has abilities to reduce packages if you choose too instead of installing everything. You can make the install down to a couple GBs if you wanted to and have a full desktop.

I myself just setup a / and swap so I only need 2 partitions. I than have a static spot on another drive that I can keep/store files.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby DontPanic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 18:43

Although it doesn't work perfectly, you can get an idea of some of the packages that are taking up the most space with the qsize command:
Code: Select all
qsize -a -k | sort -n -k 6

If you are primarily interested in java, you may seem some games or other apps you can delete.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers