2.6.26-sabayon kernel cannot access hardware clock [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 2.6.26-sabayon kernel cannot access hardware clock [Solved]

Postby chickpea » Sat Sep 06, 2008 23:38

Got a big ol no go on that. For me it didn't work. In the past disabling Enhanced Real Time Clock Foo solved this. I can't find this feature to disable anymore. :cry: I did have success with the modprobe pc-cmos after that hwclock works. I just wish that that module would get autoloaded on boot. Maybe there is a way to control this in the startup scripts? (damn HP and your buggy mobos!)
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Pluribootent » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:22

is there an easy way? Im not too familiar with compiling kernels. maybe just load the rtc_cmos module on startup? and add it to /etc/conf.d/modules? and if so how would that line loo like exactly?

Thanx
Pluribootent
Baby Hen

Postby chickpea » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:10

I think I misread your instructions Fitz, building 2.6.26 with the mainline RTC module as Y and RTC_CMOS as Y worked. Thanks, your're tops. :) God is that a relief by the way I HATED having to reset the clock every damn reboot
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:20

Have to admit I was surprised when you wrote earlier that you couldn't get it working as I assumed you had tried both the methods I posted. Anyway, I'm glad you finally got it working.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:30

Pluribootent wrote:is there an easy way? Im not too familiar with compiling kernels. maybe just load the rtc_cmos module on startup? and add it to /etc/conf.d/modules? and if so how would that line loo like exactly?

Thanx

I'm not sure that the rtc_cmos module would load at the correct point on startup, but you could try putting an entry in /etc/conf.d/modules (see Baselayout and OpenRC Migration Guide for examples). However, it would be well worth your while learning how to rebuild the kernel. See the comprehensive instructions in the SL Wiki article HOWTO: Upgrade kernel using genkernel.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 0:35

Pluribootent wrote:is there an easy way? Im not too familiar with compiling kernels. maybe just load the rtc_cmos module on startup? and add it to /etc/conf.d/modules? and if so how would that line loo like exactly?

Thanx

If you really don't want to fix your kernel, you could try the modification described in Comment #3 from Wormo in the following Gentoo Bugzilla Report I have just come across: http://bugs.gentoo.org/235647 (but perhaps he should have written rtc_cmos, not rtc-cmos.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers