Installing Applications

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Installing Applications

Postby lunatichiatus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 14:34

I am completely new to Sabayon but so far I liked it a lot. However, before Sabayon I used to use ubuntu but couldn't take all the bloat. The only problem that I have been having has been getting my head around package management. I installed the mini edition onto my laptop (a 2 ghz p4 with a gig of ram micron), threw my usual stuff on it (movies, pdf's, music) and tried getting online and noticed that Flash wasn't working, Falling back on my past application installing experience, I tried to use emerge from portato to perhaps find some sort of codec? but figured it might be safer to try installing something like a snes emulator which I would probably do later. So, I went to games-emulation, then snes9x and clicked, Emerge, then Emerge again and It said Calculating dependencies for about 15 minutes and concluded with it failing. (error code 1)

So, I tried looking online for videos, etc. etc. since I noticed I am way out of my territory with portage and package management. However, almost every site and video I found had a large amount of moon speak and absolutely no point to point examples and simple explanations. So, I conclude with.... WTF?!?!?!
lunatichiatus
Baby Hen

Re: Installing Applications

Postby joost » Sun Aug 10, 2008 14:44

I suggest you use entropy.

Open up the spritz program
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby lunatichiatus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 14:57

where would spritz be exactly? I just went threw settings, systems (where portato is kept), utilities, etc. and didn't see anything labeled spritz
lunatichiatus
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Sun Aug 10, 2008 15:07

Its on your desktop even. or run spritz from a terminal as root
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby lunatichiatus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 16:05

it seems that I was running the 3.4 mini edition, I am upgrading to the 3.5 pod now
lunatichiatus
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Aug 12, 2008 21:14

Regardless what version - you still need to learn the package managers available and how to use. Our wiki explains them and if all else fails, read the gentoo handbook.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers