layman -S does not detect linux-sabayon-2.6.26 [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Re: layman -S does not detect linux-sabayon-2.6.26 [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 23:59

Keep it in mind though, dunsurfin, because when you upgrade a package in future it will change. Take eix, for example. The new version of eix now points to /usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf (read the Gentoo Bugzilla entry for Bug No. 230788). Have you got the latest versions of portage and layman merged? Keep an eye open, because when you merge them the sources location they are looking for may -- will? -- change.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 0:10

I certainly will bear it in mind Fitzcarraldo. I do have the latest portage (emerged 15 minutes ago ) and layman 1.1.1 but don't have eix installed. Could installing eix be the problem?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 0:33

No, eix doesn't do any harm and does not cause the change in the location of the sources. (I think the change is due to a re-design by the Gentoo devs of the way portage works.) But you'll find that eix won't give you the correct information any more (and neither will "emerge -s") once the location of the sources changes, until you change the sources line in /etc/make.conf. I don't know which specific package or packages caused the change in my case, but I expect in the Gentoo forums somewhere there's an explanation of the reason for the change and what causes it.

EDIT: Just had a quick look in the Gentoo forums and, sure enough, found the following post: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-51 ... ml#5167335

"the source directory in layman.cfg changed a while ago to /usr/local/portage/layman, so you probably blindly updated that configuration file.
You also have to check that the source line in your make.conf points to the correct destination."

So the design change was to the layman package.

Didn't bother to search further, but I expect there's something about it in the Gentoo Handbook and the Gentoo Wiki.

(Also, current latest version of layman in portage is 1.2.0-r1, so when you merge that version, you will probably find things have changed.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:41

thanks Fitz, wondered today why the HELL the kdesvn-portage overlay (that I just added) didn't show up in eix searches (trying to get that kde4.1 love). Man that was throwing me into apoplexy!! :evil:

Your the best my man.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:34

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
(Also, current latest version of layman in portage is 1.2.0-r1, so when you merge that version, you will probably find things have changed.)

Thank you. I shall keep an eye on it when that version arrives in Entropy.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Sat Aug 02, 2008 13:12

Thak you Fitzcarraldo well done.

Made this one sticky.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:11

I filed Bugzilla report no. 532 today (23.10.08) against SL 3.5, as the new default location for overlays needs to be incorporated in the next release of SL.

I mentioned in the report that this applies to both x86 and x86_64 arches, and that the latest version of layman needs to be added to the Entropy repositories. (The latest version of eix -- which looks for the new overlay location -- is already in Entropy.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers