emerge problems [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

emerge problems [Solved]

Postby Gaim » Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:33

First im using 3.5 dvd version and ive read release notes and downloaded required files and installed them to correct location ....then I proceed to run emerge sync && layman -S all goes fine then it says new portage available ive then typed emerge portage and I crash with error but it wont let me copy error to post and when i try to restart it says i cant so i try to reboot and i get a kernal panic so i reinstalled got to same point didnt upgrade portage but tried emerge xchat as a test and same thing happens crash with error tried rebooting and get kernal panic if I dont emerge anything computer runs fine till i do try to emerge anything.
Gaim
Baby Hen

Re: emerge problems

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 31, 2008 22:43

dvd version? portage should work out of the box without having to do anything, what in the world are you doing? All you need to do is emerge --sync && layman -S
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Gaim » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:17

Yes dvd version im a gentoo user thought id give this a try i followed YOUR instructions downloaded file from press realease.

Solved I didnt download thoes files off press release this time just emerge --sync && layman -S then portage worked fine maybee i just misread it but i thought it was for all versions wasnt to clear.
Gaim
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:14

your reading the wrong press release as you don't download anything to get portage working with DVD, your reading the POD release notes
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers