Portato Basic Problems

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Portato Basic Problems

Postby spliffeh » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:09

When I try to install flash using portage it errors out, eventually saying something about the file received was not the expected size.

Also when I hit "Update World" it just sits there for an hour with the cursor blinking that the computer is busy.

I've tried doing a few emerges from the command prompt, no love.

I'm a noob with gentoo linux, could someone point me in the right direction?
spliffeh
Baby Hen

Re: Portato Basic Problems

Postby xlnagla » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:36

Are you on pure gentoo or Sabayon Linux, and if SL what version? We have a binary package manager now which may be nicer for you to use until you've learned portage - the basic portage link is http://gentoo-wiki.com/MAN_portage_5, so check there to begin. If you get any more specific questions that you can't answer by the portage page and just searching through the gentoo docs and wiki then feel free to re-post here. Best of luck!

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby spliffeh » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:44

xlnagla wrote:Are you on pure gentoo or Sabayon Linux, and if SL what version? We have a binary package manager now which may be nicer for you to use until you've learned portage - the basic portage link is http://gentoo-wiki.com/MAN_portage_5, so check there to begin. If you get any more specific questions that you can't answer by the portage page and just searching through the gentoo docs and wiki then feel free to re-post here. Best of luck!

~xlnagla

Your link doesnt work, it says "The Man File you have requested could not be found."

I'm using a recent version of Sabayon (3.4 I think) I installed off a Mini-Live CD and I'm in KDE 3.5
I've installed a few things using emerge from the console. But portage seems useless to me. I'm disappointed it's giving me such a hard time about doing simple things. Why is it timing out when I hit "Update World"?
spliffeh
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:49

3.4 is too old to update

Get 3.5 Loop3 or wait till 3.5 final
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby xlnagla » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:03

you really don't want to update world on that machine. Wait another week or so, get 3.5 final, and use the DVD upgrade feature. That should provide you with everything you need. Also, sorry about the link not working - pulled it off IRC, so we're going to have to fix that. Here's one that will work: http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:HOWTO:_The_Complete_Portage_Guide

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers