Cant connect to mirrors.

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Cant connect to mirrors.

Postby ambrose » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:53

Still a noob so be gentle. I have been trying to get my head around emerge commands and followed various tutorials. Whenever I do this my system tries to connect to a number of mirrors, the connection times out. I have not been able to connect to any mirrors. Please help
ambrose
Young Hen

Re: Cant connect to mirrors.

Postby freeallbadgers » Wed Jun 18, 2008 18:10

Sounds, like you may be having some network issues...or maybe not ;) , sometimes the gentoo mirrors time-out on me.

You can try

Code: Select all
emerge-webrsync

If that goes okay, then you might want to look into the 'mirrorselect' tool, a simple google search of "gentoo mirrorselect" should suffice.

If none of that helps, feel free to post errors with as much detail as you can provide, and no doubt someone will be around to try and narrow down your issues.

e.g. You could have posted the command you ran and the errors generated, so we can get a clearer idea of what you are doing.

Gentle enough for ya? ;)
“I just finished compiling glibc and now it says there is a new update available? Arrgh! It never ends!!”
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby ambrose » Wed Jun 18, 2008 20:30

Hi, thanks for the reply, I am trying to get my head round using the console in Sabayon. Whenever I try to use the emerge command the system trys to connect to various mirrors but all time out. Anyway I have done as you advised emerge-webrsync and this is what I got:

emerge-webrsync
Fetching most recent snapshot
Attempting to fetch file dated: 20080617
--- No md5sum present on the mirror. (Not yet available.)
Attempting to fetch file dated: 20080616
--- No md5sum present on the mirror. (Not yet available.)
Attempting to fetch file dated: 20080615

Its still running so I assume that as soon as it finds the relevent file it will be installed?

Didn't feel a thing.......
ambrose
Young Hen

Postby freeallbadgers » Wed Jun 18, 2008 20:38

patience, let it run its course.
“I just finished compiling glibc and now it says there is a new update available? Arrgh! It never ends!!”
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby ambrose » Wed Jun 18, 2008 22:49

How long does it normally take? Its still running, got back to the 1st of June?
ambrose
Young Hen

Postby ambrose » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30

Ok I have let it run overnight and still no change. Help!!
ambrose
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 15:26

If you can browse OK but cannot merge programs, it could be a router issue. For example, the office network I'm connected to at the moment allows me to browse the Web using a browser such as Firefox, and to send/receive e-mails using an e-mail client such as Thunderbird, but does not allow me to merge packages.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ambrose » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:45

That could be the problem. I am using a laptop That accesses the net on a wireless home network. How do we cure it?
ambrose
Young Hen

Postby ambrose » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:16

Also and to clarify I have also tried freeallbadgers suggestion of using the mirroselect tool. This tells me that a list of mirrors is being downloaded then it hangs. Could the problem be my router settings or my laptops network settings. Having given it some thought do I need to forward ports or do I need to set a static ip address?

Please help!!!!
ambrose
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:10

I would suggest you look at your router settings. This is usually done by using a Web browser; you'll have to check your router's user manual for instructions if you haven't done it before. Then have a look at the current settings in the router -- my guess would be the router's firewall settings, but I'm no network expert.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers