Installing apps and upgrading.

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Installing apps and upgrading.

Postby sifriheavy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 23:13

Hi everyone, this could be stupid, but I want to ask a few things.

well, in general, can some of u talk to me about what Install Manager does Sabayon use? I know little of gentoo and I would like to understand how or what do I have to do to get applications installed or updated.
sifriheavy
Baby Hen

Re: Installing apps and upgrading.

Postby xlnagla » Sun Mar 23, 2008 23:35

Well, we do have an extensive wiki which will tell you all you need to know about entropy and portage, our two package managers. But for a little bit of the basics, we've got two package managers, entropy and portage - portage compiles from source and is gentoo's standard package manager, entropy uses binaries exclusively and is SL's new beta-stage package manager. Both work fine, and it's a matter of personal opinion which you use - portage has much more documentation and support, and a much larger tree of packages, but its installs can sometimes take an inordinate amount of time, to the point of near a day for openoffice.org. Ususally it's only about 10-30 minutes though. Portage also uses a file called make.conf which you can use to optomize every bit of your system, based on what types of devices you have - for example, you can make portage only compile packages with support for your graphics cards and drivers instead of with support for all graphics cards and drivers. Entropy's much, much snappier than portage, but when installing batches of packages can actually take up more space, and it binges on your ram for unpacking and installing packages (which in some respects is actually nice because you know any temporary files will dissappear after a reboot, but is troublesome with low ram or a long qeue of packages). It's also not as optimizable, though that's usually not a problem for the average end-user. If you want to use entropy, you just invoke the command "equo install foo" as root, or you can use spritz, which should be on your desktop if you're using a 3.5 beta. If you want portage, as root on the command line "emerge foo" will get you the package foo. If you're pre-3.5, then you can use portage to install equo, but it will require you to do things like update python, and that's just not pretty in most cases. So, in summary, 3.5 do whatever you want, pre-3.5 use "emerge foo" to install stuff. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Mar 23, 2008 23:36

sounds like you need to visit the sabayon and gentoo wikis
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... tage_Guide
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=Entropy

also see in my signature the New User link
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sifriheavy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:15

U are so helpful, I like this linux experience already
sifriheavy
Baby Hen

Postby guneves » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:09

xlnagla wrote:Well, we do have an extensive wiki which will tell you all you need to know about entropy and portage, our two package managers. But for a little bit of the basics, we've got two package managers, entropy and portage - portage compiles from source and is gentoo's standard package manager, entropy uses binaries exclusively and is SL's new beta-stage package..........

~xlnagla

Still, your explanation was very good.
I've been reading around here (forum/wiki) and been on the chatroom for sometime.
It was a good "version comparing" + "package managers comparing" review of Sabayon Linux.
Good answers about each release.

The main link on Sabayan website still indicates 3.4f as the main release.
Usually people prefer to get a non-beta release as those are supposed to be more stable and reliable.
The main problem is to re-download 4.5GB and burn another DVD -_- lol

I've been hearing that 3.5 loop3 is pretty well developed, pretty stable...
but I have no complains on it XD it's great!
guneves
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:28

guneves wrote:
xlnagla wrote:Well, we do have an extensive wiki which will tell you all you need to know about entropy and portage, our two package managers. But for a little bit of the basics, we've got two package managers, entropy and portage - portage compiles from source and is gentoo's standard package manager, entropy uses binaries exclusively and is SL's new beta-stage package..........

~xlnagla

Still, your explanation was very good.
I've been reading around here (forum/wiki) and been on the chatroom for sometime.
It was a good "version comparing" + "package managers comparing" review of Sabayon Linux.
Good answers about each release.

The main link on Sabayan website still indicates 3.4f as the main release.
Usually people prefer to get a non-beta release as those are supposed to be more stable and reliable.
The main problem is to re-download 4.5GB and burn another DVD -_- lol

I've been hearing that 3.5 loop3 is pretty well developed, pretty stable...
but I have no complains on it XD it's great!

We find just the opposite. Everyone downloads everything but the 3.4. They see the professional edition, which isn't even supported any more and they download that or the see 3.5 beta and grab that. People need to know what they are downloading. We see it over and over. They come into irc and have no idea even what version they downloaded and when you ask, they give you their kernel version. It's just crazy at what people are doing without knowing.

3.4 isn't worth downloading as it is just too old. 3.5 loop3 will be easy enough to upgrade to current and 3.5 final just isn't that far away either.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby xlnagla » Wed Jun 04, 2008 14:45

So in summary, you've been fairly on-target so far - 3.5L3 is what we'll actively support more, though we're kinda all bound to help with 3.4f because it indeed is our officially stable release. We'll have 3.5 final very soon.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers