Noob question about LVM2

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

PAdu92
Simple Hen

Noob question about LVM2

Post by PAdu92 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 22:01

Hi all, I have a stupid noob question to ask. I'm using Mdadm for my Raid 0 devices, do I need LVM2 and Device mapper or can I safely uninstall it?

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: Noob question about LVM2

Post by WarraWarra » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:11

You will have to search the forums for some of the RAID topics and check the links.
I presume that if not using lvm partitions you might be able to get rid of it.

PS> can you post a how-to you got the Raid 0 setup working either in the forums or the wiki as several persons asked about this in oct / nov 2007
Would be nice to have raid 0 with both win and lin paritions on it using the sata raid config that works in both win and lin.

PAdu92
Simple Hen

Re: Noob question about LVM2

Post by PAdu92 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 17:34

WarraWarra wrote:You will have to search the forums for some of the RAID topics and check the links.
I presume that if not using lvm partitions you might be able to get rid of it.

PS> can you post a how-to you got the Raid 0 setup working either in the forums or the wiki as several persons asked about this in oct / nov 2007
Would be nice to have raid 0 with both win and lin paritions on it using the sata raid config that works in both win and lin.

Thank you for the answer. For the how-to, it's really easy since the installer can do it by default, now if you really want me to add it to the wiki,why not...;
For the dual boot, I beleave it's not mdadm (linux software RAID) but dmRAID, not the same thing..