Update - alternative method

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Update - alternative method

Postby wolfden » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:09

Updated 07/5/08

Hey guys I want to revisit a script I had mentioned earlier in the world update thread. One really need to take some time and get to know this script as it is pretty slick and can make things easier. The best part, it's actively developed on.

Please see this thread:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828.html

You run this script and it will compile the packages and skip over the ones that fail and when it is all done it will give you a report of what failed. It will than ask to do a revdep-rebuild automatically but it doesn't do anything unless you tell it too. It's nice in the fact that it doesn't scroll your screen as it compiles stuff, it just outputs the important info and if it fails it gives you the error as to why. You can use this for world updates or individual updates with the switches, such as
Code: Select all
update -ia foo

most people are just gonna run it as is
update

and than it shows and prompts you for action, its same as running a emerge -auDNR --world

You can always do
update --help

or you can join the irc room that is mentioned in the above thread and talk to the developer himself.

Another thing is, it makes a list of the emerged packages in your root folder and you can than manipulate that list. It also will work with binhost for those interested in the binary stuff. For information on binhost: http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Using_PORTAGE_BINHOST I don't mess with it much myself so I can't help ya on that part. It can also be used for security update.
update -S

same as doing glsa-check -f affected

It's simple to install and try it out:
su

enter password

Direct download:
wget -O /sbin/update http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~igli/src/update/update-20080622

Than do
chmod u+x /sbin/update

You also need
wget http://weaver.gentooenterprise.com/warning-20080526 -O /etc/warning

I'll try to keep updates here as the developer kicks em out. You will want to use the gentoo thread to submit bug or problems tho or catch igli in the irc room.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Update - alternative method

Postby Dottor Pike » Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:16

Hi folks,

I have some trouble using the "update" script.

The script installation went without error, but unfortunately when I use the command update -s I got the following error:
# update -s
** Emerging -uDN world then running revdep-rebuild.
# You will be asked for confirmation; CTRL-C to abort at any time
! LDFLAGS apart from '-Wl,O1', '-Wl,-z', '-Wl,-now' and '--as-needed' are not supported, you have: LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"
** Syncing portage tree [getting file list] ..
\       
** Updating eix
* Removing old portage-cache in /var/cache/edb/dep ...
* Running emerge --metadata ...       
(...)                                   
[N]   >> x11-themes/qtcurve-qt4 (~0.55.1): A set of widget styles for Qt4 based apps, also available for KDE3 and GTK2
[N]   >> x11-themes/xxv-skins (~1.0.1): Additional skins for XXV
[N]   >> x11-wm/xmonad (~0.5): A lightweight X11 window manager
[N]   >> x11-wm/xmonad-contrib (~0.5): Third party extentions for xmonad
** Resolving..

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies  ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ...

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for app-portage/portato

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=dev-lang/python-2.5" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
- dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r3 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
- dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r2 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "app-portage/portato-0.8.6.2" [ebuild])

!!! Depgraph creation failed.
!! update: Please review the errors : try emerge -uDNpv world for more info
                or search site:forums.gentoo.org

The suggested command emerge -uDNpv world really takes long time... nevertheless fails!

emerge -uDNpv world

Calculating world dependencies /

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for app-portage/portato
!!! Depgraph creation failed.

Emerging python-2.5 by hand did not fix the problem:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge \>=dev-lang/python-2.5
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4 to /
 * Python-2.5.1.tar.bz2 RMD160 ;-) ...                                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Python-2.5.1.tar.bz2 SHA1 ;-) ...                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Python-2.5.1.tar.bz2 SHA256 ;-) ...                                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Python-2.5.1.tar.bz2 size ;-) ...                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * python-gentoo-patches-2.5.1-r2.tar.bz2 RMD160 ;-) ...                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * python-gentoo-patches-2.5.1-r2.tar.bz2 SHA1 ;-) ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * python-gentoo-patches-2.5.1-r2.tar.bz2 SHA256 ;-) ...                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * python-gentoo-patches-2.5.1-r2.tar.bz2 size ;-) ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                        [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * checking Python-2.5.1.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * checking python-gentoo-patches-2.5.1-r2.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * This profile has not been tested thoroughly and is not considered to be
 * a supported server profile at this time.  For a supported server
 * profile, please check the Hardened project (http://hardened.gentoo.org).

* This profile is merely a convenience for people who require a more
 * minimal profile, yet are unable to use hardened due to restrictions in
 * the software being used on the server. This profile should also be used
 * if you require GCC 4.1 or Glibc 2.4 support. If you don't know if this
 * applies to you, then it doesn't and you should probably be using
 * Hardened, instead.

>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking Python-2.5.1.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4/work
>>> Unpacking python-gentoo-patches-2.5.1-r2.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4/work
 * Applying various patches (bugfixes/updates) ...
 *   01_all_readline.patch ...                                                                                                               [ ok ]
 *   02_all_db4.patch ...                                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 *   03_all_py-dontcompile.patch ...                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 *   04_all_disable_modules_and_ssl.patch ...                                                                                                [ ok ]
 *   05_all_mimetypes_gentoo_apache.patch ...                                                                                                [ ok ]
 *   06_all_add_portage_search_path.patch ...                                                                                                [ ok ]
 *   07_all_libdir.patch ...                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 *   09_all_gentoo-bsd.patch ...                                                                                                             [ ok ]
 *   10_all_cflags.patch ...                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 *   12_all_distutils-rpath-gcc.patch ...                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 *   13_all_imageop-int-overflow.patch ...                                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * Done with patching
 * Running eautoreconf in '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4/work/Python-2.5.1' ...
 * Running aclocal ...                                                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Running autoconf ...                                                                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Running autoheader ...                                                                                                                    [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4/work/Python-2.5.1 ...
_tkinter _sqlite3
 * econf: updating Python-2.5.1/Modules/_ctypes/libffi/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
 * econf: updating Python-2.5.1/Modules/_ctypes/libffi/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --with-fpectl --enable-shared --enable-ipv6 --infodir=${prefix}/share/info --mandir=${prefix}/share/man --with-libc= --enable-unicode=ucs4 --with-threads --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking MACHDEP... linux2
checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

!!! Please attach the following file when filing a report to bugs.gentoo.org:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4/work/Python-2.5.1/config.log

!!! ERROR: dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1632:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 983:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  ebuild.sh, line 44:   Called src_compile
  python-2.5.1-r4.ebuild, line 169:   Called econf '--with-fpectl' '--enable-shared' '--enable-ipv6' '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man' '--with-libc=' '--enable-unicode=ucs4' '--with-threads'
  ebuild.sh, line 586:   Called die

!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
!!! A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/python-2.5.1-r4/temp/build.log'.

This is my /etc/make.conf file:
cat /etc/make.conf
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"
USE="mp3 mmx professional_edition business_edition png quicktime divx4linux dvb dvd dvdread live mpeg nvidia jpeg truetype v4l v4l2 xv xvid \
opengl multilib gnutls arts cups ppds foomatic-db alsa gimpprint freetype -gnome X gtk gtk2 \
unicode moznocompose moznoirc moznomail kde qt livecd samba xinerama xine theora \
kdeenablefinal wifi hal ieee1394 oggvorbis lm_sensors logitech-mouse \
zeroconf artswrappersuid jack nptl nptlonly rdesktop dvdr css gphoto2 pcmcia \
speex jpeg2k povray scanner musicbrainz accessibility audiofile \
exif xscreensaver ffmpeg vcd sndfile musepack asterisk mbrola pam_chroot pam_timestamp \
pwdb gnokii pda sms bluetooth irda kig-scripting speedo browserplugin nsplugin  \
kerberos firefox dga aac dts xvmc dbus hal dvi on-the-fly-crypt dri xprint acpi \
symlink ada -php ruby sql subversion perforce apache2 cjk fat hfs jfs ntfs reiser4 xfs reiserfs \
postgres joystick skins cdda real shout stream a52 wxwindows vlm libcaca remote \
stats lcd unichrome 7zip commercial mozsvg canvas xml2 glut java gcj glitz \
svg avahi ogg vorbis aalib flac gdbm mikmod timidity kdgraphics dlloader exscalibar ipod visualization \
mono cdr nntp cairo  nautilus evo ole pdf xml ladspa portaudio soundtouch \
bzip2 udev mad fuse rtsp tiff kdehiddenvisibility dvi usb kipi aiglx musicbrainz 3dfx pulseaudio \
x264 dv lame mp3rtp udev cdr beagle dvi libnotify bzip2 aalib startup-notification nsplugin jingle \
gsm dbox2 etcproposals"
ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw copy dshare dsnoop extplug file hooks ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null rate route share shm"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j2 -s "
PORTAGE_NICENESS="8"
FEATURES="parallel-fetch "
CONFIG_PROTECT="/usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/ /etc"
VIDEO_CARDS="apm ark chips cirrus cyrix dummy fbdev fglrx glint i128 i740 i810 imstt mach64 mga neomagic nsc nv nvidia r128 radeon rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sis sisusb tdfx tga trident tseng v4l vesa vga via vmware voodoo epson"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse acecad aiptek calcomp citron digitaledge dmc dynapro elo2300 elographics fpit hyperpen jamstudio joystick magellan microtouch mutouch palmax penmount spaceorb summa synaptics tek4957 wacom ur98 vmmouse void wacom"
source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf
#FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/wget --limit-rate=30k -t 5 --passive-ftp -P \${DISTDIR} \${URI}"
#RESUMECOMMAND="/usr/bin/wget --limit-rate=30k -c -t 5 --passive-ftp -P \${DISTDIR} \${URI}"
PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86"
PKGDIR="/var/pkg"

Any idea on howto proceed?
Tnx
DrPike
Last edited by Dottor Pike on Mon Dec 31, 2007 14:12, edited 2 times in total.
Il vantaggio di essere intelligente è che si può sempre fare l'imbecille, mentre il contrario è impossibile...
-- Woody Allen
Dottor Pike
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:39

First clean this up:

VIDEO_CARDS="apm ark chips cirrus cyrix dummy fbdev fglrx glint i128 i740 i810 imstt mach64 mga neomagic nsc nv nvidia r128 radeon rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sis sisusb tdfx tga trident tseng v4l vesa vga via vmware voodoo epson"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse acecad aiptek calcomp citron digitaledge dmc dynapro elo2300 elographics fpit hyperpen jamstudio joystick magellan microtouch mutouch palmax penmount spaceorb summa synaptics tek4957 wacom ur98 vmmouse void wacom"

get rid of the crap you don't need

after you updated python you need to do
python-updater -i

or make sure u have latest equo
equo packages python-updater

what is your current error with
update -s
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Dottor Pike » Mon Dec 31, 2007 14:21

wolfden wrote:First clean this up:

get rid of the crap you don't need

Ok, done.

after you updated python you need to do
python-updater -i

Results as follows:
# python-updater -i
* Starting Python Updater from 2.4 to 2.5 :
* Searching for packages with files in /usr/lib/python2.4 /usr/lib32/python2.4 /usr/lib64/python2.4 ..
* Adding to list: app-admin/gamin:0
* Adding to list: app-office/planner:0
* Adding to list: app-pda/libopensync:0
* Adding to list: app-pda/pilot-link:0
* Adding to list: app-portage/layman:0
* Adding to list: app-portage/portato:0
* Adding to list: dev-java/antlr:0
* Adding to list: dev-java/java-config:0
* Adding to list: dev-java/java-config:2
* Adding to list: dev-libs/libxml2:2
* Adding to list: dev-libs/libxslt:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/PyQt:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/PyQt4:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/dbus-python:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/egenix-mx-base:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/elementtree:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/eyeD3:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/gnome-python:2
* Adding to list: dev-python/lxml:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/notify-python:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/numeric:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pycairo:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pycrypto:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pygobject:2
* Adding to list: dev-python/pygtk:2
* Adding to list: dev-python/pyopengl:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pyopenssl:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pyorbit:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pyparted:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pyrex:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/python-fchksum:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/python-musicbrainz2:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pyxf86config:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/pyxml:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/setuptools:0
* Adding to list: dev-python/sip:0
* Adding to list: dev-util/portatosourceview:0
* Adding to list: dev-util/scons:0
* Adding to list: dev-util/subversion:0
* Adding to list: gnome-extra/libgsf:0
* Adding to list: media-gfx/graphviz:0
* Adding to list: media-libs/lcms:0
* Adding to list: media-libs/libgpod:0
* Adding to list: media-libs/mutagen:0
* Adding to list: media-libs/tunepimp:0
* Adding to list: net-dns/avahi:0
* Adding to list: net-fs/samba:0
* Adding to list: net-wireless/libbtctl:0
* Adding to list: sys-apps/file:0
* Adding to list: sys-libs/cracklib:0
* Adding to list: sys-libs/libcap:0
* Adding to list: sys-libs/libselinux:0
* Adding to list: x11-libs/vte:0
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 181: /var/db/pkg/x11-proto/glproto-1.4.6_alpha20060317/SLOT: No such file or directory

Calculating dependencies /

or make sure u have latest equo
equo packages python-updater

what is your current error with
update -s

Unless I am not able to fix the previous error I cannot proceed I guess...
Thanks for your help
Il vantaggio di essere intelligente è che si può sempre fare l'imbecille, mentre il contrario è impossibile...
-- Woody Allen
Dottor Pike
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Dec 31, 2007 14:54

well either unmask what it needs or uninstall portato for now

/etc/portage/package.keywords

dev-lang/python **
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Dottor Pike » Mon Dec 31, 2007 18:03

unmerged portato with emerge -C portato, but python-updater -i ends with the message:

* Adding to list: sys-apps/file:0
 * Adding to list: sys-libs/cracklib:0
 * Adding to list: sys-libs/libcap:0
 * Adding to list: sys-libs/libselinux:0
 * Adding to list: x11-libs/vte:0
/usr/sbin/python-updater: line 181: /var/db/pkg/x11-proto/glproto-1.4.6_alpha20060317/SLOT: No such file or directory

Calculating dependencies -
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-python/python-musicbrainz2:0"

unmerging glproto-1.4.6_alpha20060317 helps a bit because it removes the related error. Now I'm working to fix the last one (python-musicbrainz2:0).

#ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -av python-musicbrainz

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] dev-python/ctypes-1.0.2  USE="-doc" 377 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-python/python-musicbrainz-20050108  20 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 396 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...
>>> starting parallel fetching

>>> Emerging (1 of 2) dev-python/ctypes-1.0.2 to /
>>> Downloading 'http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/ctypes-1.0.2.tar.gz'
--18:30:37--  http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/ctypes-1.0.2.tar.gz
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/ctypes-1.0.2.tar.gz'
Resolving distfiles.gentoo.org... 216.165.129.135, 156.56.247.195, 140.211.166.134, ...
Connecting to distfiles.gentoo.org|216.165.129.135|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 385,155 (376K) [application/x-gzip]
(...)
>>> dev-python/python-musicbrainz-20050108 merged.
>>> Recording dev-python/python-musicbrainz in "world" favorites file...

>>> No packages selected for removal by clean
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

Unfortunately python-updater -i stops exactly with the same error on python-musicbrainz2:0!!!
No way for me to get update working :x :x
-- Woody Allen
Dottor Pike
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:08

yea that is normal, just got to keep working through it. updating python is a bugger, your not going to get all the packages as portage is so old on 3.4
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:43

New release is out:

Direct download: wget http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~igli ... e-20080109 -O /sbin/update
md5: 65218b557aad0d4f875d46944c18d1a0
md5sum /sbin/update
Current MD5: 026ff7fee5953d37f4a6f5c43ea7b794 /sbin/update
chmod u+x /sbin/update
You also need wget http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~igli ... g-20071019 -O /etc/warning
md5sum /etc/warning
MD5: 7ebbe5f447777555f38bff863b1bd55e

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828.html

updated the first post
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Merlin7777 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 18:45

There is a new release. Just check the directory.
Merlin7777
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:26

wonder why he didn't update thread

Updated first post

Edit: Its a dev version - kinda sweet, allows you to now edit the list as an option
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers