YouTube video for beginners: Installing apps in SL 3.4

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

YouTube video for beginners: Installing apps in SL 3.4

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:17

The Web site http://www.pcmech.com has posted a YouTube video for beginners to SL, entitled "HowTo - Installing apps in Sabayon Linux 3.4":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oea6PjVWX6Y

The video and audio quality themselves are good, but the presenter is disparaging about installation via the command line. He does give a cursory mention to Portato, but the guy is clearly not an expert in SL or Gentoo and this is a very, very cursory introduction to package installation in SL. Frankly I would rate it as next to useless, but I suppose it's a start for someone who has no experience at all of SL. And at least the presenter mentions Gentoo and shows the Gentoo Web site.

However, the presenter asks for any suggestions from SL users, and also asks for videos of package installation using Portato or other GUI package installers for SL, so some of you might want to contact them with suggestions or contribute a video yourself, to make sure the PCMechanic Web site presents an informed view and more-useful information. Send only constructive comments to them, please; flaming will do nobody any good. BTW, I have nothing to do with that site or the video, I just happened to find it while I was searching YouTube just now to see if any videos about SL had been posted recently.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: YouTube video for beginners: Installing apps in SL 3.4

Postby wolfden » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:07

wow, that guy is an idiot

This is the problem when people don't know how to do something and do a howto, it give a bad name to every thing. This video should be removed from you-tube as it is false. I can't stress enough, learn your operating system.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby momocore » Fri Nov 30, 2007 14:35

Wow. That's ridiculous.

Search packages:
emerge -s <part_of_packagename>

I'm not going to use a web browser to find what packages I need, I'd rather open up another tab in konsole and run a search.

install package:
emerge <packagename>

I love how he says you have to type in the directory path and version number. I think it needs to be pointed out that you only need to put version numbers for older packages.

emerge-s firefox
emerge mozilla-firefox

I've never used ubuntu, and the persistent comparison based on little knowledge makes me not want to try it.
momocore
Simple Hen

Postby Joecanadian » Fri Nov 30, 2007 15:36

Joecanadian
Baby Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers