Package install GUI?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Package install GUI?

Postby JimH » Wed Nov 28, 2007 23:08

Hello,

I'm brand new to Sabayon so please go easy on me. :) I have used other Linux os and I could see what packages were on the repository and install them easily with a program such as synaptic or adept. Is there an easy gui like this for Sabayon?

I read the wiki, but it seems to presume that I have a certain level of knowledge regarding installing through command line, which I do not. :cry:

If there is such a gui I hope someone can point me to it, if not then maybe there's a dumbed-down how-to that can get me started.

Thanks,
Jim
JimH
Baby Hen

Re: Package install GUI?

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 23:32

Portato and Kuroo (although some don't like the latter) will do as you ask but learning the CLI method brings it's own rewards.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby JimH » Wed Nov 28, 2007 23:42

Thanks. Do I need to point Kuroo to a repository to see available packages?
JimH
Baby Hen

Postby Scoob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 0:12

JimH wrote:Thanks. Do I need to point Kuroo to a repository to see available packages?

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Install_Packages_on_Sabayon_/_The_Complete_Portage_Guide
Scoob
Baby Hen

Postby JimH » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:45

OK, I think I'm starting to get it. I can go to gentoo-portage.com and see what's available. Then I type emerge and the package name in a command line, right? That is ok, I can handle that, but how can I see the available packages in Kuroo? This isn't explained in the wiki (at least I didn't see it) and I can't find any tutorial or any instructions online.

Sorry I'm such a noob, I'm very enthisiastic about getting Sabayon going. Thanks for your help.

Jim
JimH
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:55

First of all you need to open your terminal, type "su" (without the quotation marks), press enter and then enter your root password and press enter again. Then type "emerge --sync" (without the quotes) press enter and when that has finished type "layman -S" (without the quotes) and press enter again. If you have kuroo installed then you just need to open it and allow it build it's database - it will then show you what is available and what is installed. If you haven't got it installed you need to type in your terminal (as above) "emerge kuroo" (without the quotes), press enter and wait for it to finish. You should then find kuroo in amongst the system programmes. If it isn't there then open "run command" and enter "kuroo" (without the quotes) and press "run".
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Thu Nov 29, 2007 19:20

Read the Gentoo handbook on portage! In gentoo we don't have "repositories" little boxes where the prebuild .debs are located. Rather we have a central database (portage) of ebuilds (files that contain the "instructions to build a package). Those ebuilds will automatically no where the source code files are kept, download the source code, validate its authenticity, configure the build and compile the package.

We don't have repositories, but we do have what are known as overlays which is kind of the same idea, but again, it is source code, not prebuild binaries (for the most part). In a default SL build you will automatically have the Sabayon Linux overlay added to the Layman.

Do a
Code: Select all
 layman -S

as well as the emerge --sync and this will update your overlays (if any).

Again, even with kuroo, portato, THERE IS NO NEED TO ADD "REPOSITORIES". Most of the packages already exist in portage. In portato, in the menus you can sync portage as well, therefore bypassing the CLI-based portage syncing. My advice, use portato to get your feet wet and install the packages that you need immediately to become productive and happy with SL, but thereafter get to know the CLI, and emerge. Your life/system will depend on it some day, trust me. This is not to scare you, emerging packages on the CLI is really EASY. Even if you move on to a different distro, you will be thankful that you took the time to figure out the CLI and understand how the LFS works (LInux File System).
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 19:43

Kuroo is no longer installed in SL 3.4a/e/f, having been supplanted by Portato. I prefer Kuroo's GUI so I emerged the latest version (0.81_rc1, which is a later version than the SL-compiled version 0.90_pre2007 despite the numbering) by typing the following as root into a Terminal window:

emerge -1v =kuroo-0.81_rc1

If you have already installed the SL version, just do the following instead:

emerge -C kuroo
emerge -1v =kuroo-0.81_rc1

If you would like to have an icon on the Desktop so that you can launch Kuroo easily, do the following:

1. Right-click on the Desktop and select Create New > Link to Application...
2. On the General tab, enter “Kuroo” (without the quotes) in the box.
3. Click on the icon on the General tab and select the Kuroo icon (a wrapped package).
4. Click on the Applications tab and enter the following into the Command box:

kdesu -t -d --nonewdcop -u root -c kuroo -caption "%c" %i %m

5. In the Description and Comment boxes enter “KDE frontend to Gentoo portage” (without the quotes).
6. Click on Advanced Options and tick Enable launch feedback if it is not already ticked.
7. Check that Ownership | User is you and Ownership | Group is root.
8. Click OK.

Now, if you double-click on the Kuroo icon on the Desktop a box will pop up asking you to enter root’s password. Do so and Kuroo will launch.

http://kuroo.org/
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers