Dependencies on gentoo-sources [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Dependencies on gentoo-sources [Solved]

Postby DontPanic » Wed Nov 28, 2007 19:56

Recently, I had trouble with packages having an dependency on sys-kernel/gentoo-sources. The most recent package to give me this problem is gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.20.1.

I already have sys-kernel/sabayon-sources installed, and I am running my system off kernels built from the sabayon sources.

I'd rather not install the gentoo kernel sources that I have no intention of using. It takes up alot of room.

Is anyone else having this problem, or do I have a subtle difference in my system that is tricking portage into not seeing the already installed kernel sources?
Last edited by DontPanic on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:57, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU [email protected] 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Re: Dependencies on gentoo-sources

Postby DontPanic » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:57

Through trial and error, I think I've stumbled into a solution for this problem on my system.

I think the problem originated when the sabayon-sources ebuild for version 2.6.22 (the version I have installed) was dropped from Sabayon's portage tree. Emerge did not throw off any errors or warnings that this package was no longer in the portage tree.

I think that portage was not satisfied that I had kernel sources installed. It wants kernel sources that are installed and also active in the portage tree somewhere.

I added back an ebuild for the 2.6.22 version to my local portage tree. I also had to add this package to my package.keywords file.

I pretty sure an alternate solution would have been to install and build a 2.6.23 sabayon-sources kernel, but I didn't go that route.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU [email protected] 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers