how to use packages after emerged?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

how to use packages after emerged?

Postby g35x » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:06

well I've read thru the wiki and learned to emerge packages such as ntfs-3g and use them in the terminal after they emerged, but I just emerged tribes2 and quake4 from gentoo-portage and was wondering how to start them up after they have been successfully emerged?
g35x
Baby Hen

Re: how to use packages after emerged?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:19

Well, some packages automatically appear in K Menu > Applications > <relevant menu> after you emerge them. Some don't. If the latter, you can click on the K Menu kicker and type the name of the application into the Search box to see if you can find it, and then click on the entry returned. Another way would be to open a Terminal window and launch the application from the command line. I don't have the specific two that you mention installed on my PC, so cannot tell you for sure, but it'll probably be a case of typing "tribes2" and "quake4" (without the quotes).

Once you know the command to launch an application, if you want you can set up a Desktop Config File (like a shortcut in Windows) -- which is an icon on your Desktop or in any folder you choose -- to launch an application; see an example of how to set up a Desktop Config File in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10519#p61248

BTW, the command one enters in the Command box of a Desktop Config File can be simple or complex. A simple command would be e.g. "skype" (without the quotes); a more complex command would be e.g. "DISPLAY=:0 googleearth %f" (without the quotes); the command could be prefaced by "sudo" if one wanted to run the command with root priviledges (e.g. "sudo kedit"); the command could be a command to execute a Bash shell you have written e.g. "sh /home/fitzcarraldo/copy_important_files_to_my_home_directory" (without the quotes). And so on. And if you want to launch an application at startup, just put a Desktop Config File for it in the directory /home/<your username>/.kde/Autostart/
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby g35x » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:14

I have tried all 3 of those, to no avail :?
g35x
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:14

Well, I've had a look at the ebuild for tribes2:

http://gentoo-portage.com/games-fps/tribes2

and it appears you have to type

Code: Select all
t2launch

And same site will show you that for quake4 you have to type:

quake4

And same site will show you that for the quake4-demo you have to type:

quake4-demo

All discovered by typing "quake4" and "gentoo" into Google.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby g35x » Sat Nov 24, 2007 20:56

well then I guess I emerged them wrong, because those don't work either.

I'll try again later
g35x
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 21:17

You need to be more specific about what's happening when you type the commands in a Terminal window: do you get any error messages? If yes, what do they say? Are you trying to run them as root or under your user account? Can you see the directories of the installed packages in Konqueror or if you use the locate command in a Terminal window? Also, if you re-emerge the two packages, cut and paste the output from the Terminal window into your post so that we can see how the build went.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers