Advice please on updating kdelibs and qt [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Advice please on updating kdelibs and qt [Solved]

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 0:23

The problem started yesterday when Amarok stopped working. The splash screen appeared and then nothing. I decided to remove it and reinstall. Emerge failed with this problem:

Code: Select all
configure:31470: checking if UIC has KDE plugins available
configure:31497: /usr/qt/3/bin/uic -L /usr/kde/3.5/lib64/kde3/plugins/designer -nounload -impl actest.h actest.ui > actest.cpp
Conflict in /usr/qt/3/plugins/designer/libqscintillaplugin.so:
  Plugin uses incompatible Qt library!
  expected build key "x86_64 Linux g++-4 full-config no-opengl", got "x86_64 Linux g++-4 full-config".
configure:31500: $? = 0
configure:31514: result: no
configure:31525: error:
you need to install kdelibs first.

If you did install kdelibs, then the Qt version that is picked up by
this configure is not the same version you used to compile kdelibs.
The Qt Plugin installed by kdelibs is *ONLY* loadable if it is the
_same Qt version_, compiled with the _same compiler_ and the same Qt
configuration settings.

I find that I have kdelibs 3.5.7-r10 installed (marked not on AMD64) and an update available of 3,5,8-r10
I also have qt 4.2.3-r1 (not on AMD64) and 3.3.8-r4 installed and an update available of 4.3.2

running emerge -pv on both I get this:
Code: Select all
localhost robin # emerge -pv qt

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] x11-libs/qt-4.3.2 [4.2.3-r1] USE="accessibility cups dbus jpeg qt3support ssl%* tiff%* xinerama zlib -debug -doc -examples (-firebird) -gif* -glib -mng -mysql -nas -nis -odbc -opengl* -pch -png* -postgres -sqlite -sqlite3" INPUT_DEVICES="wacom" 42,445 kB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 42,445 kB
localhost robin # emerge -pv kdelibs

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r10 [3.5.7-r10] USE="acl alsa arts avahi cups jpeg2k kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility kerberos openexr tiff xinerama -branding% -debug -doc -fam* -legacyssl -lua -spell* -utempter (-ssl%*) (-zeroconf%*)" LINGUAS="(-he%*)" 15,212 kB [1]
[blocks B     ] kde-base/ksync (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.8-r10)

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade, 1 block), Size of downloads: 15,212 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
 [0] /usr/portage
 [1] /usr/portage/local/layman/sabayon
localhost robin #

I can happily remove ksync as I have no PDA to synchronize with.

I have found that, with amarok removed, rhythmbox now runs very well indeed and I think I prefer it so the question I'm asking is; Do I risk breaking a system that works very well (apart from Amarok) by updating qt and kdelibs or do I leave well alone and wait for 3.5?
Last edited by dunsurfin on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: Advice please on updating kdelibs and qt

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:51

I see I have kdelibs-3.5.8-r10 installed and everything is working well (including amarok-1.4.7-r1). I have qt-4.2.3-r1 and qt-3.3.8-r4 installed. I notice that qt-4.3.2 is Stable, so I suspect you'd be OK to proceed. Usual disclaimers apply, of course!
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:49

Thank you, I'll wait until Monday to see if anyone has any horror stories then give it a go.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:11

no problems here, was wondering why this topic even came about
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby bambino_finocchio » Fri Nov 23, 2007 13:13

becouse its sayd .... one libs to destroy them all ...
bambino_finocchio
Simple Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 16:20

wolfden wrote:no problems here, was wondering why this topic even came about

Because I am hoping that anyone who has done something similar and had problems will write. Obviously I did something to break Amarok and I'm well aware that what seems a simple procedure can cause havoc with other dependencies. I tried revdep-rebuild -p to find if anything was missing but it didn't come up with anything apart from some areas around missing beagle (which I removed as soon as I installed 3.4 and were clearly not to blame). Of course I could have gone blithely on but I thought the idea was to seek advice if not sure.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:09

OK, I've just emerged qt-4.3.2. The first time I tried the build failed. Then I emerged gtk-engines-qt, mesa-progs and mesa, and tried again and it went through OK. So I've got both specific packages installed and the latest version of Amarok (1.4.7-r2) as well, so you should be good to go.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:08

Thank you - Monday is going to be a busy day :)
Edit: Couldn't wait and I had a spare slot this morning. Removed ksync, emerged kdelibs (update to 3.5.8-r4) and noted during the emerge that it referred to my current qt so decided to try emerging amarok before updating qt. That all worked so I now have a functioning Amarok and everything else seems to be working too :)

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers