installing updating mini amd64

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

installing updating mini amd64

Postby carpman » Fri Oct 19, 2007 15:12

Hello, just update a 3.3 mini install with 3.4 and trying to do update after emerge sync but getting following blocks:

Code: Select all
net-dns/avahi (is blocking net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5)<br> x11-misc/xkbdata (is blocking x11-misc/xkeyboard-config-1.1)<br> &lt;media-libs/openexr-1.5.0 (is blocking media-libs/ilmbase-1.0.0)<br> sys-apps/setarch (is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.13-r2)<br> net-misc/mDNSResponder (is blocking net-dns/avahi-0.6.18, net-dns/avahi-0.6.21)<br> &lt;sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0_rc (is blocking sys-apps/makedev-3.23.1)<br> sys-process/schedutils (is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.13-r2)<br> app-crypt/libgssapi (is blocking net-libs/libgssglue-0.1)

Is it safe to just remove offending packages and then run update?

cheers
carpman
Baby Hen

Re: installing updating mini amd64

Postby wolfden » Fri Oct 19, 2007 22:36

search the forum, all of them have been addressed

3.4 shouldn't be having those issues
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby carpman » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:52

wolfden wrote:search the forum, all of them have been addressed

3.4 shouldn't be having those issues

Well it has and it was an update to installed 3.3 system.

A simple yes remove them or not would have helped.
carpman
Baby Hen

Postby carpman » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:12

Ok searched forums and found solutions for some block but not all still have following issues:

[blocks B     ] <media-libs/openexr-1.5.0 (is blocking media-libs/ilmbase-1.0.0)
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0_rc (is blocking sys-apps/makedev-3.23.1)
[blocks B     ] app-crypt/libgssapi (is blocking net-libs/libgssglue-0.1)

I have been using Gentoo since version 1.2 so am not new to portage, but updating a fresh install of SL seems hardwork?

For the openexer block i just emerge -C openexr then emerge -av openexr which allows updated it to version 1.6.0 plus pulls in ilmbase, this cured that block, don't know why a problem as version 1.4 was installed!

From seaching i can get around baselayout by emerging it with no deps, have not found anything on libgssapi block yet?

Now have new problem in that nothing will compile, get error:

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

!!! Please attach the following file when filing a report to bugs.gentoo.org:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/ilmbase-1.0.0/work/ilmbase-1.0.0/config.log
 * ERROR: media-libs/ilmbase-1.0.0 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *   ebuild.sh, line 1648:   Called dyn_compile
 *   ebuild.sh, line 988:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
 *   ebuild.sh, line 44:   Called src_compile
 *   ebuild.sh, line 659:   Called econf
 *   ebuild.sh, line 591:   Called die

Now problem seem to be "checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables" searching for this on SL forums returns nothing. Search GL forums and these say check make.conf setting, i have not changed default installed settings?

make.conf has
CFLAGS="-Os -march=x86-64 -pipe"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}

gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2 *

binutils-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-2.18.50.0.1
carpman
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Sat Oct 20, 2007 14:44

I find I often have to expand my searches beyond the Sabayon forums. I'll usually start with the SabayonLinux forums, but then I either search the Gentoo forums (especially for portage problems), or just do a global Google search.

Regarding your compiler error, while I don't have a x86-64 processor, I'm not sure your march syntax is correct. See this GCC reference for march and mtune options: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html

Regarding app-crypt/libgssapi, I removed app-crypt/libgssapi and loaded net-libs/libgssglue. I found this somewhere in the Gentoo forums. As I recall, there was some sort of security issue with libgssapi, and they are now using the libgssglue library.

My solution regarding makedev was just to remove makedev.

I don't have ilmbase on my system. I don't recall deleting that package, but I may have when I was updating and stabilizing my system.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby carpman » Sat Oct 20, 2007 17:03

DontPanic wrote:I find I often have to expand my searches beyond the Sabayon forums. I'll usually start with the SabayonLinux forums, but then I either search the Gentoo forums (especially for portage problems), or just do a global Google search.

Regarding your compiler error, while I don't have a x86-64 processor, I'm not sure your march syntax is correct. See this GCC reference for march and mtune options: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html

Regarding app-crypt/libgssapi, I removed app-crypt/libgssapi and loaded net-libs/libgssglue. I found this somewhere in the Gentoo forums. As I recall, there was some sort of security issue with libgssapi, and they are now using the libgssglue library.

My solution regarding makedev was just to remove makedev.

I don't have ilmbase on my system. I don't recall deleting that package, but I may have when I was updating and stabilizing my system.

Thanks for reply, ilmbase is dep of openexr 1.6. I will try your suggestions for libgssapi and makedev.

As for the arch setting this is as default from SL install is if incorrect it is something that needs changing for install?

I tried changing it to CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon64 -pipe" but still no compile?
carpman
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Oct 20, 2007 21:29

# gcc-config -l

look and see which one is enabled, should be 4.1.2

the upgrade method thru the installer seriously has problems, your best bet is to backup, fresh install, restore backup or stay current with world update.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby carpman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:27

wolfden wrote:
# gcc-config -l

look and see which one is enabled, should be 4.1.2

the upgrade method thru the installer seriously has problems, your best bet is to backup, fresh install, restore backup or stay current with world update.

If you read my previous post you will see i have included the info on GCC version.

Yes it does seem that the update via installer is very buggy, i am trying to get up to date via world update but not being able to compile is not helping?

Another issue with word up date that i have not mentioned is that it wants to pull in loads of new app that i cannot for the life of me understand why? apps such as Kdeedu-meta and kdegames?
carpman
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Sun Oct 21, 2007 15:10

As for the arch setting this is as default from SL install is if incorrect it is something that needs changing for install?

I tried changing it to CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon64 -pipe" but still no compile?

Sorry. Oddly enough, the GCC documentation didn't list that option, but it is probably OK if it is the default.

Looking at the Gentoo forums, they often suspect syntax errors in the make.conf for errors like this. This is probably a cut-and-paste error, but I notice the CXXFLAGS that you posted had no closing double quote. Double-check to make sure your actual make.conf has a closing quoter there.

CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}

I found another Gentoo page on this error. Check here, but you may have already covered these suggestions.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-297935.html

As far as the KDE dependencies, I think the problem is the KDE meta packages. Here's a reference: The KDE Configuration HOWTO

I usually go in and unmerge all the KDE meta packages, but leave kde-base/kdebase-meta, which has a scaled-down list of KDE dependencies.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers