Has anyone succesfully updated python?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Has anyone succesfully updated python?

Postby Stupot » Thu Oct 18, 2007 0:18

I tried, and I then ran python-updater -i and revdep-rebuild -X. I couldn't get either of them to complete for reasons of "No ebuild exists for " a multitude of packages, or that 8 packages were blocking other things. I already butched that installation by trying to work through it and am in the process of repairing it. I have no idea if there is a tutorial, I honestly didn't look for one in either sabayon's or gentoo's wiki, rather I went off of hints for repairing portato for people that had problems with python.

So, the basic question is, has anyone sucessfully updated it, and if so, could you give me some pointers so that I might not screw up my installation again?

P.S. I don't really do world updates, I just update packages when I need to. I don't know if that holds relevance or not.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Has anyone succesfully updated python?

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 18, 2007 21:41

Well of course people have :lol:

Do it manually if you can't get it. update-python gives you the list of packages to rebuild, work thru that list, you're not going to get them all for various reasons.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby cyrwyn » Sun Oct 21, 2007 21:14

Who? How? What if you can't get them all and satisfy dependency conflicts that would hose my system?
cyrwyn
Young Hen

Postby koch » Sun Oct 21, 2007 23:22

which ones?
WINDOWS: Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it - stop. format it.
koch
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Oct 21, 2007 23:37

cyrwyn wrote:Who? How? What if you can't get them all and satisfy dependency conflicts that would hose my system?

Lots, Carefully, Work through it

Your not going to get them all more than likely that is why I said look at the output and work with the package list till you can't go no more.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers