Warnings in gcc-4.2.1

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Warnings in gcc-4.2.1

Postby xt600 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:08

When I compile gcc during a system update it gives tons of warning messages and sometimes stops for a long time. Is this normal? is there a way that I can make it keep going instead of just sitting there for 5-10 minutes seemingly doing nothing?

I have been frustrated before and hit ctrl-C and that of course just killed the whole process. (duh on me)

Also, if during an update if it is at 95% and the electricity goes out? Does that mean I have to start all over?

Is there a way to save your progress?

Still learning but I have a long ways to go.

Thanks for any help!
xt600
Simple Hen

Re: Warnings in gcc-4.2.1

Postby GI_James » Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:17

xt600 wrote:When I compile gcc during a system update it gives tons of warning messages and sometimes stops for a long time. Is this normal? is there a way that I can make it keep going instead of just sitting there for 5-10 minutes seemingly doing nothing?

I have been frustrated before and hit ctrl-C and that of course just killed the whole process. (duh on me)

Also, if during an update if it is at 95% and the electricity goes out? Does that mean I have to start all over?

Is there a way to save your progress?

Still learning but I have a long ways to go.

Thanks for any help!

Use 'emerge --resume'

--resume: Resumes the last merge operation. Please note that this operation will only return an error on failure. If there is nothing for portage to do, then portage will exit with a message and a success condition.

see here for more info: http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man1/emerge.1.php
James Strickland
Crestview, FL
StrickStuff.com
Computer
Screen
Keyboard
Wireless Mouse
Mouse Pad
GI_James
Simple Hen

Re: Warnings in gcc-4.2.1

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:12

You let emerge run till either you get a failed or success message - don't worry about what you are seeing inbetween.

GCC is a long process, if you stop at 95% you will have to restart the entire compile
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers