Binary updates ever necessary?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Binary updates ever necessary?

Postby HappySmileMan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 17:32

I've been using Gentoo for a while and loving it, but I keep reading about Sabayon and it's advantages, and I have a few questions before I start using it:

1: Does compiling prioritise over binary packages? For example, if I type "emerge -av exampleprogram", will it compile the program or search for a binary and install that?

2: If it does compile stuff, is there a need to binary update anything? For example, I know I can upgrade all my programs using emerge and compile then, but when Sabayon3.5 comes out will I be required to do a binary update to 3.5 or can I compile all the required stuff?

3: Not really important since I can easily install it myself, but do the old NVidia drivers come on it or just the new ones? I have a GeForce 440MX and the newer NVidia drivers don't work, not important, but since I'm already here asking it'd be nice to know.

Sorry if some of these questions have been answered before.
HappySmileMan
Baby Hen

Re: Binary updates ever necessary?

Postby Stupot » Tue Oct 09, 2007 21:17

1) If you wish to install binary packages via emerge, you would actually emerge a different package. I.E. 'emerge firefox-bin' will emerge the binary while 'emerge firefox' will compile it. Not all applications have a binary version in this manner. There is currently a binary package manager under development, but you would call 'equo' instead of 'emerge'. But, as I said, it's still under development.

2) You can compile everything if you choose. If you keep your system up to date, then there is no need to update via the install DVD, although it might be easier.

3) I'm not sure.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby HappySmileMan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 21:53

Stupot wrote:2) You can compile everything if you choose. If you keep your system up to date, then there is no need to update via the install DVD, although it might be easier.

Would "emerge --sync" and then "emerge -avuDN world" work though?

And when Sabayon gets updated from 3.4 to3.5 would I have to update to 3.5 using binaries, or will source be available for all relevant programs?
HappySmileMan
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:05

The source is available to be installed like everything else. There is a thread on here of how to do world updates, as they are much more complicated than a regular gentoo world update.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers