Is Sabayon going to remain Gentoo/Portage based ?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Is Sabayon going to remain Gentoo/Portage based ?

Postby brjoon1021 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 14:03

I saw that Conary was available through Portato. I have used Foresight linux which used Conary to manage packages so I did a forum search. I found a long thread that was pretty active over the summer about whether Sabayon should go its own way or stay rooted in Gentoo. Have there been any decisions about that ?

B.
brjoon1021
Young Hen

Re: Is Sabayon going to remain Gentoo/Portage based ?

Postby wolfden » Tue Oct 09, 2007 14:10

It will stay gentoo based

equo the binary package manager in development is compliant with gentoo structure
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby brjoon1021 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 17:51

Thanks for your reply.

"equo the binary package manager in development is compliant with gentoo structure". Will this require a new installation of whatever release of Sabayon is out at the time ? I am trying to cut back to install-once rolling release distros. I am getting tired of reinstalling with each new release.

Thanks,

B
brjoon1021
Young Hen

Postby thephoenix » Sat Oct 13, 2007 18:03

As a newb here I may not be where I should be, but this 'portage' package manager is a total mystery. Any help from anyone
would be great. I'm strickly a GUI type of guy, so editing files and stuff won't fly. I'd like be able to install some stuff..
Many thanks:-)
I Think, Therefore I Am
thephoenix
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Oct 13, 2007 21:09

brjoon1021 wrote:Thanks for your reply.

"equo the binary package manager in development is compliant with gentoo structure". Will this require a new installation of whatever release of Sabayon is out at the time ? I am trying to cut back to install-once rolling release distros. I am getting tired of reinstalling with each new release.

Thanks,

B

Nope
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Sat Oct 13, 2007 21:10

thephoenix wrote:As a newb here I may not be where I should be, but this 'portage' package manager is a total mystery. Any help from anyone
would be great. I'm strickly a GUI type of guy, so editing files and stuff won't fly. I'd like be able to install some stuff..

Better Read:
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... tage_Guide

Documentation on the equo hasn't been done yet as it isn't even beta yet
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby darkscot » Sat Oct 13, 2007 21:24

thephoenix wrote:As a newb here I may not be where I should be, but this 'portage' package manager is a total mystery. Any help from anyone

As Wolfden suggests, your first step is to read the wiki. However, portage is a lot simpler than it first appears and actually works very well. If you need GUI then you have portato.
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |
darkscot
Advanced Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers