Sabayon install is in a pretty bad state, any method to reco

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon install is in a pretty bad state, any method to reco

Postby 9a3eedi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 16:03

Hi,

I've installed Sabayon 3.4e 32bit on my Asus G1S. It was good and all, till I decided to attempt to do the world update. This caused my Sabayon Install to go berserk, with things that just make no sense, such as:
- eix pidgin says that pidgin is installed, but KDE cannot find the executable bin file. I tried emerging pidgin again (twice, too) but no difference
- Beryl isn't as smooth as what it used to be
- mp3 playback and sound playback is broken. Amarok starts, but doesn't play mp3s because xine is busy or something. Also, there is no greeting sound when starting sabayon
- and many others

Instead of solving each problem one by one, I'd rather go back to all what it was like before. I've learnt my lesson now: the world update indeed wasn't for the feint of heart (even though I used to world update in my gentoo box with little problems).

I heard that there is a way where you can get your 3.4e DVD to recover your installation? Does this apply to my case? What about my configurations? Will I, for example, lose my Firefox bookmarks, perhaps? What about my files?

and while we're at it.. I've got 3.4e 32bit installed. I also heard you can updgrade to 3.4f simply by booting off the DVD and using it. Is it possible to switch from 32bit Sabayon to 64bit this way as well?
9a3eedi
Young Hen

Re: Sabayon install is in a pretty bad state, any method to reco

Postby wolfden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 16:09

pidgin is probably broke cause of missing use flags

beryl doens't come with 3.4

you can use the livedvd and select repair option in the installer, personally I would just fresh install, repair can take up to 6 hours to do

World updates should only be done if you know portage and understand the package manager and OS. It's even trickier right now with the python update to go thru.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Sabayon install is in a pretty bad state, any method to reco

Postby 9a3eedi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 18:54

Thanks for the tip. I don't have to attend the process right? I can just leave it to fix my install and then I go to sleep, right? so yeah

I unmerged compiz fusion because I didn't like it.. it didn't feel smooth enough for me..

And I tried to do the world update. I got some experience with plain gentoo. I built my own gentoo system from the minimal CD, so I thought I had a pretty good understanding of portage and stuff. Apparently, it's still not enough lol
9a3eedi
Young Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers