New install package

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

New install package

Postby timboellis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 16:57

I have been looking round these forums for the last day so forgive me if I have missed it but I have been using Portato and it does not work the way I would like, so what other package managers are there, something with a GUI for a newbie and how do I install it, and once installed where is it.

I tried kuroo through Portato and clicked ebuild then clicked okay then I could not find it any help please
timboellis
Simple Hen

Re: New install package

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 17:20

Kuroo is about as easy as it gets. So intuitive to use you don't need a manual. Excellent GUI in my opinion, and I've never had any trouble with it. Emerge it from Portage by typing the following in a Terminal window as root:

Code: Select all
emerge -v =kuroo-0.81_rc1

The latest version (0.81_rc1) in Portage, released recently, is a later version that the SL version of Kuroo that used to be on the LiveDVD (0.90_pre2007).

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=9975

By the way, have you made sure you have updated your local Portage files first?:

emerge --sync && layman -S && emerge portage
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Sep 24, 2007 20:33

what is that you're expecting or wanting it to do?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 20:59

timboellis wrote:...then I could not find it any help please

If you mean that you did not know how to launch Kuroo after installing it, click on the K Menu icon on the left of the Main Panel and then type "kuroo" (without the quotes) in the search box. Alternatively, you can launch it from the command line by opening a Terminal window and typing:

sudo kuroo

and enter your password (not root's password) when prompted.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby timboellis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 21:26

well I went through all the setup steps and find kuroo in the menu but when I got to exe it , it jumps up and down for about 4 seconds then dissapears
timboellis
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Sep 24, 2007 22:12

run it from konsole

what is the error if any?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby timboellis » Mon Sep 24, 2007 22:22

Yep spot on cheers working now, this will help with some of the other apps that have prob running, there was no error message
timboellis
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 23:25

If you would like to have an icon on the Desktop so that you can launch Kuroo easily, do the following:

1. Right-click on the Desktop and select Create New > Link to Application...
2. On the General tab, enter "Kuroo" (without the quotes) in the box
3. Click on the icon on the General tab and select the Kuroo icon (a wrapped package)
4. Click on the Applications tab and enter the following in the Command box:

kdesu -t -d --nonewdcop -u root -c kuroo -caption "%c" %i %m

5. In the Description and Comment boxes enter "KDE frontend to Gentoo portage" (without the quotes).
6. Click on Advanced Options and tick Enable launch feedback if it is not already ticked
7. Check that Ownership User is you and Group is root
8. Click OK.

Now, if you double-click on the Kuroo icon on the Desktop a box will pop up asking you to enter root's password. Do so and Kuroo will launch.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Necoro » Tue Sep 25, 2007 15:44

timboellis wrote:I tried kuroo through Portato and clicked ebuild then clicked okay then I could not find it any help please

I should add a "Give me the Newbe Button Labels" Option ^^ ...

But just for the records:

- "Ebuild" opens you ... yes ... ehm ... the ebuild
- To actually emerge it you need to click the ... ehm ... yeah ... "Emerge" Button (ok - you need to click it twice: once in the package which adds it to the queue, calculating dependencies - and then again in the queue to actually launch emerge it)
Necoro
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 15:53

Apologies for deviating off topic, but when using Portato I find that the green circular 'LED' beside the package name-version under the Package tab stays where it is after emerging a later version of the package. I have to 'refresh' Portato manually (either exit and re-launch Portato, or click on the later package version) to get the green indicator to move to the latest version installed. Would it be possible to get Portato to do this automatically? Thanks, Necoro.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers