Is there an advantage to using the -uav command? [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Is there an advantage to using the -uav command? [Solved]

Postby xt600 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:15

I did a pretend on clamav using -upv and it said that i needed five packages and 41 meg of download. When I typed in just -pv it said that I just needed 1 package and download 3.5 meg to upgrade.

Is it best to use -uav instead of -av? I don't won't to break my system!!! :cry:

Forgive me for my newbiness! I am coming from Ubuntu so you understand.

Thank you for your patience in advance! :)
xt600
Simple Hen

Re: Is there an advantage to using the -uav command?

Postby wolfden » Sat Sep 22, 2007 15:02

-u will update the program and others it effects, otherwise without it, it will just update the program.

This is a good example of people that can't do a world update. If you simply just emerge -u foo the packages you need to, eventually your system will be updated. It's just a more slower approach and less chances of things going hay wire for new people to this distro. So if you --sync and do an emerge -u amarok it will pull in all the latest stuff from the latest portage.

It's another alternative to this great distro and for people new to this distro/package manager it's a great way to get your feet wet. Work with it in smaller pieces.

One last thing if you want it to grab all dependencies you can add -D in there so emerge -uD foo ------ that will update all packages and dependencies.

Good reading is
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... t=2&chap=1
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Is there an advantage to using the -uav command?

Postby xt600 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 16:25

wolfden wrote:-u will update the program and others it effects, otherwise without it, it will just update the program.

This is a good example of people that can't do a world update. If you simply just emerge -u foo the packages you need to, eventually your system will be updated. It's just a more slower approach and less chances of things going hay wire for new people to this distro. So if you --sync and do an emerge -u amarok it will pull in all the latest stuff from the latest portage.

It's another alternative to this great distro and for people new to this distro/package manager it's a great way to get your feet wet. Work with it in smaller pieces.

One last thing if you want it to grab all dependencies you can add -D in there so emerge -uD foo ------ that will update all packages and dependencies.

Good reading is
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... t=2&chap=1

Now that is some very useful info! That will help me learn much just messing around with these smaller programs and trying to upgrade and fix them. I am reading the handbook now, I have read it before but now it makes more sense after having practiced some of the commands.
xt600
Simple Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers