xdm and wireless problems after baselayout update

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

xdm and wireless problems after baselayout update

Postby Wintershade » Mon Sep 17, 2007 23:35

I have followed the solutions on this thread, and after successfully emerging baselayout and the other packages that were conflicting at that time, the xdm won't start anymore. The errors I am getting are as follows:
Code: Select all
localhost ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm start
/etc/init.d/xdm: line 119: ebegin: command not found
/etc/init.d/xdm: line 121: save_options: command not found
/etc/init.d/xdm: line 133: eend: command not found
 * ERROR: xdm failed to start

What is actually wrong here and how to correct it?
In the previously mentioned thread, the solution was to edit /etc/conf.d/xdm, and to change "xdm" to "kdm", but the odd thing is, the DISPLAYMANAGER value is already set to "kdm".
Any leads?
Thank you.
Last edited by Wintershade on Wed Sep 19, 2007 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Wintershade
Baby Hen

Re: xdm won't load after updating baselayout and its deps

Postby Wintershade » Tue Sep 18, 2007 13:13

ok, I re-emerged the earlier version of baselayout and not things are mostly back to normal.
The problem is, this version of baselayout is conflicting with makedev, so I emerged it with --nodeps flag.
Can someone tell me in a nutshell what are the possible damages to my system because of doing so? And what do I actually need makedev for? (I didn't want to unmerge it in case something needs it).
Wintershade
Baby Hen

Postby pajamabama » Tue Sep 18, 2007 15:52

so is going back to an earlier version of baselayout the answer to this? In the other thread discussing this issue (link above) the question kind of gets distracted by questions regarding Timezone errors. Should the new version of baselayout have remained masked? And don't we need makedev to make devices? Or do I not understand how this really works (not at all unlikely :lol: ) Was it the right move to update to the new version of init.d/xdm when running etc-update? I've read on the gentoo wiki that the general rule is to accept all updates to init.d files so that they work with upgraded services.

Sorry for just asking more questions, but I'd really like to understand how all this works / is supposed to work.
HP dv6000t
SabayonLinux 5.5 - x86_64

www.pedorro.com
pajamabama
Growing Hen

Postby DontPanic » Tue Sep 18, 2007 16:14

I can't answer this question definitively, but I also had to drop back to a 1.12 version of baselayout. I have also removed makedev from my system, and have run for about two weeks without it. I never found a good explanation of the purpose of the makedev package, but I found a few posts that suggested it was possible to remove the package. Since it was a masked package anyways, and since the only packages that had a dependency on makedev were the 2.0 (also masked) versions of baselayout, I decided to take a chance on removing makedev.

But you're probably right to be very cautious about removing packages like makedev, and just because it is currently working for me doesn't necessarily make it a good idea to remove it.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Sep 18, 2007 16:31

to the original OP - what version of SL? I'm gonna guess 64bit?

I had no problems with x86 version and new baselayout. 64bit, I left baselayout alone and got rid of makedev, it's new and maybe further down the road it will play a part, but it will not effect your system as of today.

I noticed with the new baselayout things boot faster and a few others mentioned same thing in IRC.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Wintershade » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:01

wolfden, sorry to inform you, but my SL version is x86. I don't have any 64bit computers.

DontPanic, thanks for sharing your experience. I just might unmerge makedev and re-emerge baselayout2.

pajamabama, it seems we haven't come to the real answer to this (yet). Rolling baselayout back will make the xdm load again, but it seems no matter which baselayout version you have installed, portage will say it's conflicted with makedev. This probably means, it's either baselayout or makedev on your system - not both, although you get both with a fresh Sabayon installation. I'm not an expert by any means, but, the way I see it, when two conflicting packages are installed, they will not work properly.

Now for another problem. I've noticed that, since I've re-emerged the old baselayout (=baselayout-1.12.9-r2) and rebooted (while leaving makedev alone), my wireless doesn't work. I can see it in lsmod, I can see it in lspcim, but iwconfig and knetworkmanager see no wireless networks (and I know there should be at least two - mine and neighbours'). Is this a coincidence or could there be a connection?
And, more important, has anyone had a similar experience? How to resolve this?

edit: after removing makedev and emerging baselayout, the wireless is seemingly working again, but xdm fails to load again, and again with the same errors.
Wintershade
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:56

than it must be a config file, did you check the config files? I believe there was like 30 of them and I know I didn't let it over write all of em.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Wintershade » Wed Sep 19, 2007 15:10

OK, I'll try and look into the config files. If I figure anything out, I'll post here.

BTW, a correction: I said wireless is seemingly working, while actually it is not. wpa_supplicant won't connect to my wireless network, and always gives message that the passkey may be wrong. Double checked it, it isn't. KNetworkManager has the same issue. Asks for WPA key, I enter it, and it won't connect. After a few seconds it asks for the WPA key again.

Any ideas?
Wintershade
Baby Hen

Postby Wintershade » Wed Sep 19, 2007 17:33

Got it. The first one at least.
The solution to starting xdm again, at least for me, was to update xdm and it's deps.
emerge -u xdm

then set the DISPLAYMANAGER value from "xdm" to "kdm" in /etc/conf.d/xdm and voila.
Funny I didn't think of that before. Oh well. Now for the wireless part... any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.
Wintershade
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 19, 2007 21:44

Wintershade wrote:Got it. The first one at least.
The solution to starting xdm again, at least for me, was to update xdm and it's deps.
emerge -u xdm

then set the DISPLAYMANAGER value from "xdm" to "kdm" in /etc/conf.d/xdm and voila.
Funny I didn't think of that before. Oh well. Now for the wireless part... any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

No wonder why I didn't experience this as I have my system world updated so I should of had the latest xdm. I never restart my session or reboot my computer till my system and world is completely rebuilt and revdep-rebuild has done it's thing. I always watch my config files too. On the 64bit side I didn't have my world rebuilt so that is probably why I ran into there
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers