How to Update Compiz Fusion

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

thomo
Baby Hen

Re: How to Update Compiz Fusion **8/28/07**

Post by thomo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 23:31

Just noticed that x11-libs/compiz-bcop ** is on the "How To" twice is that right?

slampy
Young Hen

Post by slampy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:40

another noob question. how do I edit the /etc/portage/package.keywords file? it won't let me delete or write to it. I figured I need to logoff and sign in as root, so I do that and it loads the defualt KDE desktop thats all blue and such, but everything seems to be a bit frozen. I can't trype anything anywhere and I can't move the windows around. all I can do is open window, but thats no help if I can't type anything. is this common? my main question is can I edit that keywords file and do the rest of the update without having to login as root? or can I be in root while already in the main sabayon user profile? thanks.
Running 3.4e 32bit version with an Athlon64 and an nvidia geforce 7800gt. I'm a linux beginner and first time sabayon user. :D

BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Post by BlueJayofEvil » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:17

slampy wrote:another noob question. how do I edit the /etc/portage/package.keywords file? it won't let me delete or write to it.
You need to be root to edit it. Log in as your normal user account and open a terminal. Type "su" (no quotes) to become root in the terminal. You can edit the packages.keywords file in the terminal by typing "nano /etc/portage/package.keywords" (no quotes).
If you want to edit the file in something like KWrite, do NOT type "su". Instead type "kdesu kwrite /etc/prtage/package.keywords" (again no quotes).
Remember when logging in as root anywhere you will need the root password.

Also, it is usually recommended to not log in as root through the login screen. A terminal will suffice.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:04

thomo wrote:Just noticed that x11-libs/compiz-bcop ** is on the "How To" twice is that right?
It makes no difference :roll:

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:06

slampy wrote:another noob question. how do I edit the /etc/portage/package.keywords file? it won't let me delete or write to it. I figured I need to logoff and sign in as root, so I do that and it loads the defualt KDE desktop thats all blue and such, but everything seems to be a bit frozen. I can't trype anything anywhere and I can't move the windows around. all I can do is open window, but thats no help if I can't type anything. is this common? my main question is can I edit that keywords file and do the rest of the update without having to login as root? or can I be in root while already in the main sabayon user profile? thanks.
You might want to learn stuff first, before trying updates of any sort

Look thru the gentoo handbook and documentation as that is very basic stuff.

slampy
Young Hen

Post by slampy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:25

BlueJayofEvil wrote: You need to be root to edit it. Log in as your normal user account and open a terminal. Type "su" (no quotes) to become root in the terminal. You can edit the packages.keywords file in the terminal by typing "nano /etc/portage/package.keywords" (no quotes).
If you want to edit the file in something like KWrite, do NOT type "su". Instead type "kdesu kwrite /etc/prtage/package.keywords" (again no quotes).
Remember when logging in as root anywhere you will need the root password.

Also, it is usually recommended to not log in as root through the login screen. A terminal will suffice.
thanks! but, how do I save it once I've edited it? lol. at the bottom it says ^X exit so I tried typing ^X but that didn't do anything... sorry, wanna let me in on the secret of saving it?
Running 3.4e 32bit version with an Athlon64 and an nvidia geforce 7800gt. I'm a linux beginner and first time sabayon user. :D

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:16

Ctrl X

BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Post by BlueJayofEvil » Tue Sep 04, 2007 19:30

It seems the screensaver is back in development. It's now called compiz-plugins-screensaver and it's back in the xeffects overlay.

Also there is a wallpaper plugin called compiz-fusion-plugins-wallpaper for those who are interested.

hecia13
Young Hen

Post by hecia13 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 17:43

I did it according to your instructions, all seemed fine, but my computer slowed down to unbelievable speed :( I have to return to the version supplied with 3.4e

slampy
Young Hen

Post by slampy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:42

wolfden wrote: So you take the above and place it in a new text file and save it as fusionupdate.sh
Move the fusionupdate.sh to your /usr/bin/ and lets make it so we can run it by doing:

Code: Select all

chmod +x /usr/bin/fusionupdate.sh
so, I don't know if I'm doing this part correctly, but I made a new text file on the desktop and named it fusionupdate.sh and pasted the code into it and saved. then in konqueror I went to /usr/bin/ and tried to past the fusionupdate.sh file into it, but it doesn't let me. how do I put the file into /usr/bin/? or am I supposed to do everything in the terminal? and if so, how do I create a file in terminal and save it as fusionupdate.sh and then put it inside /usr/bin/? sorry, I know I should be learning more about emerge and stuff before I try all this, but I'm very impatient, and I'm just do all this for fun, and I like to learn by trial and error, as apposed to studying, lol. thanks to anyone who takes the time to tell me how to create and save this file in /usr/bin/