multiple desktops

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

multiple desktops

Postby kosmos88 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:57

I created 4 virtual desktops and the desktop preview & pager indicates that there are 16 virtual desktops. How can i fix this? Thanks for any help.
kosmos88
Baby Hen

Re: multiple desktops

Postby sjeter » Thu Aug 30, 2007 0:57

I've got this problem, too. The settings are in Kcontrol --> Desktops --> Multiple Desktops and in Compiz Settings Manager --> General Options --> Desktop Size. If I change it to 4, 16 show up. If I change it to 1, there are 4, but if I logout/login, it goes to 1.
sjeter
Simple Hen

Postby sjeter » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:29

I did some searching and discovered that although there's just one desktop, there are multiple viewports. The Ctrl-Alt and mouse switch still work and I can have different apps on different viewports, I just can't click on the number of the viewport like I used to.

There's an option in the Setttings Manager for Viewport Switcher called "Go to specific viewport". There's "Switch to Viewport 1" etc and if you click the edit button on the right, it prefills all of them with "<Control>F1" etc. But I'd just rather click on the app at the bottom unless I want to see the Atlantis plugin fishies :) then I use the Ctrl-Alt and mouse.
sjeter
Simple Hen

Postby Eugeniusabayon » Thu Nov 01, 2007 20:13

Bump Bump - just wanted to add the actual solution for this problem. Especially with compiz-fusion since it sometimes creates this problem on its own. Simply go to CompizConfig, and General Options (the first icon) and then Desktop Size (nr. 3 at the top bar) and then set horizontal size to only 1 - and desktops to 4, this will make your lovely Compiz/Compizfusion desktop work again nicely with KPager/KDE.
Eugeniusabayon
Baby Hen

Postby AirIntake » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:01

Doing what was suggested above does fix the problem and makes the desktops independent again. Unfortunately, I can no longer drag windows to the edge of the desktop and have them go around the cube to the next desktop. I can only do this with 'virtual' desktops. Any ideas?
AirIntake
Baby Hen

Postby AirIntake » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:09

I checked my Ubuntu's compiz. It has 4 virtual desktops and 1 real, yet all the desktops are independent, and their contents stay visible in the icon when I move to other desktops. In Sabayon with similar settings, windows shown in desktop icon 1 (for eg.) disappear when you switch to desktop 2, even though they are still there. Also, all desktops are called 'desktop 1'.
AirIntake
Baby Hen

Postby AirIntake » Fri Jul 11, 2008 21:11

This place is quiet.......bump
AirIntake
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 21:22

Is the following your ultimate objective?:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13940
Fitzcarraldo