Newly emerged WM's don't show up in session manager! :(

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Newly emerged WM's don't show up in session manager! :(

Postby lostinpurdy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:46

I have decide to try out some of the newer lightweight windowmanagers, so I emerged them with portage/portato but when I went ahead and try them out I just can't find then in the session list of the session manager! Everything else is there from KDE to TWM but none of the ones I installed. How can I include them into that list? I don't know if that's an issue but the wm's I installed are Windowlab and Orobeus.
lostinpurdy
Baby Hen

Re: Newly emerged WM's don't show up in session manager! :(

Postby DontPanic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 16:56

I added Afterstep recently, and it showed up fine in my kdm Sessions options.

Were startup files added to /etc/X11/Sessions/ for your new window managers?

An a side note, you are picking two of the lesser known window managers. If I had to guess, they probably just aren't set up as well as the more popular window managers, and require the user to complete some of the final installation for things like kdm.

There are several more popular window managers and desktop environments that you might want to try. In theory, there isn't necessarily a relationship between the popularity of a window manager and the maturity and completeness of a window manager, but the reality is the two usually go hand-in-hand.

My personal favorite 'light-weight' window managers is IceWM, but xfce and WindowMaker are both also popular 'light-weight' options (WindowMaker has a different look and feel, similar to a NeXT box, that takes some getting used to).

There are also many other options. Here's a few links to some resources that will give you some idea of the relative popularity of some of the window managers.

http://freshmeat.net/browse/56/ (There's an option to sort by popularity)
Window Mangers for X
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby lostinpurdy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 22:48

Yes, there was something like a startup file called Windowlab in /etc/X11/Sessions but I didn't check for orobeus yet but I'm convinced that there should be something in there for it too. What I don't understand is that the windowlab script is together with the fluxbox script, they both have just a single line of text in the script which is a directory path that points to the .bin versions of the windowmanagers AND they are both in the same Sessions directory, yet fluxbox is the one that shows up but no go for windowlab. I have tried out the other ones you mentioned nultiple times and they are good and all but I still would like to try something different now. Something like Windowlab or Orobeus.
lostinpurdy
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 22:57

I sometimes like exploring different window managers myself.

I've been poking around the files installed by AfterStep to see if I can figure out what it did to show up in kdm.

Do you have entries in the /usr/share/xsessions/ directory for the Window Managers you installed ?
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby lostinpurdy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 0:16

well.. nothing has worked so far. All I want is to have these wm's pop up in the window manager list. There HAS to be a way to do this! Is there somethink like a config file which contains this particular selection of windowmanagers? I have the gnome session manager. I know there's supposed to be a ~/.xsessions file but all I find is .xsessions-errors. I'm confused like a goldfish in a laundromat. :scratch:
lostinpurdy
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:07

A did a google search on "adding window manager to kdm", and a few of them mentioned about the /usr/share/xsession directory.

Did you try copying and editing one of the desktop files in that directory?

Or do you need more help to do something like that?

Let me know if this helps.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby lostinpurdy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:53

I did that with windowlab - nothing. I changed it to windowlab.desktop - nothing. What now? what else would I have to edit? The windowlab file that I found in /etc/X11/Sessions only holds a link to /usr/bin/windowlab.

by the way it's oroborus not orobeus. Sorry for the mixup.
lostinpurdy
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:53

OK, here's how I got windowlab working.

First, 'emerge windowlab'. Sounds like you've got that part covered.

Second: I changed to the /usr/share/xsessions/ directory. I poked around for a bit, and decided to try using fluxbox.desktop as a template. I copied fluxbox.desktop to windowlab.desktop, and edited the file to look as follows:
Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Windowlab
Comment=This session logs you into Windowlab
Exec=/usr/bin/windowlab
TryExec=/usr/bin/windowlab
# no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
Icon=
Type=Application

Third: Log out to kdm, and boom.... There's a Windowlab entry in my sessions panel.
I select Windowlab, and log in...
The screen clears so that only the pretty Sabayon-Linux background is showing, and I await a pretty Windowlab desktop to alight my screen....
Nothing is happening, but since I've been drinkin', I stare at the pretty Sabayon-Linux background alittle longer and wait for something to happen...
I glance over at the amber light on my hard-drive, and nothing is happening there either...
I scratch my head and stare at the pretty Sabayon-Linux background alittle longer...
I decide to get brave (I jump outta planes after all), and right click on the screen to see what happens.
Well guess what, when I right click on the screen, I get like six or seven simple options. When they say Windowlab is minimilist, they wasn't kiddin'. There is truly nothing to it (damn, Windowlab only takes up 3.5 MG of RAM). You get a blank screen.

Anyhow, let me know if this works for you.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby lostinpurdy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:23

Ok... umm... I took the advice from the last post and yes, they show up in the sessions menu now. But when I start them it seems like something's missing there. Windowlab for example: I don't know if it's supposed to be like that but there's just a bar at the top of the screen and when I right-klick I get some menu options and programs such as gimp, xvimage or whatever in that bar. There's not even a background image. Isn't that supposed to look like this http://nickgravgaard.com/windowlab/wind ... mbnail.png ?
When I try oroborus there's something going wrong because I just get a mouse on a blank desktop and nothing else. No m enus, no optins. Nothing. and it's supposed to be like that: http://www.oroborus.org/files/screensho ... _scrot.jpg
Did I m iss something there? Do I have to make some exta entries in ???.desktop?
lostinpurdy
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Sun Sep 02, 2007 17:10

When playing around with various window managers, I've always had mixed success with getting my installations to look like the screenshots the developers publish. Especially with things like backgrounds. That is probably what you are seeing with WindowLab.

As far as oroborus goes, I haven't built it myself, but it sounds like it isn't getting started correctly. I think that for some of these lesser known window managers that you are playing with, you're probably going to have to do some homework and digging around gentoo forums and the developer's web page to get them working the way you want.
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers