Sabayon 3.4 | Gnome Crash on Logout

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

jonnyrockets
Baby Hen

Sabayon 3.4 | Gnome Crash on Logout

Post by jonnyrockets » Mon Aug 06, 2007 20:04

Hello All -

I am a big fan of Sabayon, but GNOME as well. I feel that KDE is a bit too clunky for my personal taste but I have this re-occuring problem with GNOME that i have had since 3.3-

Whenever i am done with my current session, and I choose "logout" from the GNOME menu, my laptop freezes. The mouse can still move around, but all menus don't work.

If i am logged in as root, there are no problems with that GNOME session - and it seems to have a different setup.

I have tried numerous things before such as removing he .gnome directory to let it rebuild itself always with the same end results - the freeze on logout.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or perhaps has found a solution? Please post if you have!

thanks,

jonnyrockets

phzi
Simple Hen

Post by phzi » Mon Aug 06, 2007 20:43

Does CTRL-ALT-Backspace still work when the desktop is "frozen"?

jonnyrockets
Baby Hen

Post by jonnyrockets » Wed Aug 08, 2007 0:59

Yes, I am sorry forgot to mention this. I can kill the X server, and shutdown - this is what i normally do to shutdown.

Does anyone know how to figure out why GNOME crashes on me?

jonnyrockets
Baby Hen

Post by jonnyrockets » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:03

Should i post this in another spot? I haven't been able to find a solution...

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:21

where u gonna post it?

obviously people are not having this issue??

phzi
Simple Hen

Post by phzi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:04

Does switching to another TTY work?

If have you tried logging in as root, and getting a process list (ps aux) to see if anything is all your resources?

Otherwise, I don't have much to suggest to you.

Mellowdrone
Young Hen

Post by Mellowdrone » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:11

obviously people are not having this issue??
Untrue. I'm using 3.4a (unable to update to 3.4e due to limited connection speeds and limited connection availability) and can vouch for Gnome continually hanging on logout when using Compiz. I select Computer -> Logout, and before the prompted question even displays, I'm nearly complete in being stopped. I was only able to back out of this once short of pressing the reboot button, and I don't remember the key combination I used for it. It might've been a random selection of keys, for all that I can remember, that prompted Compiz to come back to order.

The only way I can successfully log out of Gnome is by changing the Window Manager to Kwin or Metacity and logging out normally via Computer -> Logout.

I'm experimenting with Gnome over KDE, and thus far prefer Gnome over KDE (eagerly awaiting KDE 4 for experimentation purposes), but this is a damned annoying bug, I'll admit.

I'm using an Nvidia 7600GS, Intel E6400 Dual Core, and 1gb RAM.

EDIT: And jonnyrockets, I would suggest you attempt this method if you're having a similar issue for the sake of seeing whether or not it works. I'd personally like to hear whether or not it does.

phzi
Simple Hen

Post by phzi » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:28

Obviously it's a problem with Emerald/Compiz then. Other window managers work fine?

Have you tried using kdm w/ gnome to make sure it's not a gdm problem?

jonnyrockets
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 3.4 | Gnome Crash on Logout

Post by jonnyrockets » Sun Aug 19, 2007 16:44

yeah i am aware that it sometimes works with the other window managers. my goal here is more to troubleshoot why the 3d-desktop environment causes gnome to crash.

and for the record its pretty counter-productive to boldly state "well no one else is experiencing these problems". i know of quite a few people who are interested in sabayon and have this same problem. lets try to avoid that in the future, and to focus on the problem at hand - getting this to work and troubleshooting the issue.
Last edited by jonnyrockets on Sun Aug 19, 2007 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Sabayon 3.4 | Gnome Crash on Logout

Post by wolfden » Sun Aug 19, 2007 17:26

jonnyrockets wrote:yeah i am aware that it sometimes works with the other window managers. my goal here is more to troubleshoot why the 3d-desktop environment causes gnome to crash.

and for the record its pretty counter-productive to boldly state "well no one else is experiencing these problems". i know of quite a few people who are interested in sabayon and have this same problem. lets try to avoid that in the future.
Well they need to post if they are having problems than, look how long it took another person to say they have same problem. Obviously it is not wide spread.