Compiz Fusion

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Compiz Fusion

Postby drf » Thu Jun 21, 2007 15:19

Hi everyone
As you probably already know, Beryl and Compiz have merged into a project that now has the definitive name of "Compiz Fusion". Since Beryl has been discontinued, I'd like to know if there's already a planning on what to do when the first release of Compiz Fusion will come out.
drf
Baby Hen

Re: Compiz Fusion

Postby ajez » Thu Jun 21, 2007 15:57

drf wrote:Hi everyone
As you probably already know, Beryl and Compiz have merged into a project that now has the definitive name of "Compiz Fusion". Since Beryl has been discontinued, I'd like to know if there's already a planning on what to do when the first release of Compiz Fusion will come out.

while compiz fusion will not be at the level of beryl, we will use beryl ..
--
Core Beta/Site,Blog,Forum Admin
ajez
The Blamed One

Postby wolfden » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:32

omg it is so unstable and crap just don't work

Beryl > *
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby dave_p_b » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:09

Hi

This link might be of interest to someone http://news.softpedia.com/news/Beryl-Is ... 7881.shtml

It has a flash video at the bottom of the current Compiz Fusion 3D effects.

Cheers

Dave
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:51

It's getting there, some of those plugins in that video just came out.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby drf » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:07

Well, I think it's a long road before the first stable release, the project just decided its name a few days ago :D so we still have to wait, but I'm very curious, actually the stability of compiz with the effects of Beryl may lead to the ultimate 3D Desktop, I hope it will be so.
drf
Baby Hen

Postby R3MF » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:23

compiz fusion will be based on the compiz 0.5 development code released months ago, so while there is lots of rewriting of plugins the core code has already had a lot of development time.

that said, Michael Larabel said he was told by quinstorm last week that the first compiz fusion release would probably happen in august.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 13:50

Thanks for posting that video, dave_p_b. Compiz Fusion looks very nice. If the developers can produce a stable version then it should have the Vista world salivating. That said, I actually like Beryl very much and most of the functions work most of the time on my laptop. But I suppose in the long run it's for the best that the Compiz and Beryl teams pool their talents.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby zouzou85 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:13

MAANNNN! that looks cool!!!
i love those plugins that were available in the video. they are cool.
I always thought that a merger between beryl and compiz will be good, and that video gives me good feelings about it.
i hope the project will prosper!
zouzou85
Growing Hen

Postby dave_p_b » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:43

Hi all

I just tried the latest compiz-Fusion (0.1.5) in ubuntu 7.0.4 (set up here http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-I ... 8113.shtml)

I'm very excited with this as it seems just a stable as beryl 0.2.1 did and has more features. Not sure what's happening with emerald though. Here's a screenshot of the control center for compiz-fusion. Looks quite nicely organized.

I really hope they will include compiz-fusion in SL 3.4. Does any one know if they are going to or not?

All the best

Dave
dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers