sddm failed on boot

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

sddm failed on boot

Post by linuxfluesterer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 13:57

Hallo guys.
In a thread before, I asked for a Sabayon tar ball, which I want to install on a friend's pc box due to problems of the standard Sabayon Live installer (anaconda), especially with partitioning.
The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=34890&hilit=tarball+Sabayon
Ok, I prepared everything to then unpack the fresh tar ball onto a btrfs (root) subvolume on a simple SSD, which I have created before. The real install (after testing here) will be done on a double partition btrfs volume spread over two NVME partitions.

Then I adopted the /etc/fstab in the subvolume, prepared the steps for a change root (all the links, you know), then changed the root to the mounted subvolume and finally I was on the new root, the location, where the tar ball was unpacked.
Here then I started two commands:

Code: Select all

grub2-install /dev/sda
and

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Done this, I shut down, then I booted the new system and I ended up in a terminal, where I could simply login as root without password.
Then I set a password for root, created the user richard (my friend and started to update the Sabayon repositories:

equo up
Ok, my aim was (and still is) to install a Plasma environment, so, beside some other packages like mc I installed also, I executed the command:

equo i plasma-meta --ask
and after agreeing to the licences about 354 packages (appending to plasma-meta-5.14.2-r2) where installed on that system.

Then I enabled sddm to start sddm on boot, to run into login window for entering Plasma.
Here's my problem: After reboot the system does not run into sddm. I see lines running up the terminal, then black screen, then the lines appear again, then the system seems to wait for something, and when I press <Enter> I can login as root.
Then I can execute the command:

systemctl start sddm
and after that the sddm login screen appears.
But, though I enabled sddm.service this doesn't lead to login screen when boot.
I checked for sddm with

systemctl -a
and within I searched for sddm, but the pattern are not found.
So, I checked with journalctl for the last boot (begin at line 168) untiI I executed systemctl start sddm manually. Here's the url of my journall:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/pXf ... 9rQyrtUwH/

So, did I need to install more packages for a complete working Plasma?
Can someone of you tell me, what is wrong in my configuration?
I have a pc box with core i7 7700T, 64GByte SSD, 16GByte Ram, the Sabayon tar ball is from last weekend.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...