Minimal Fluxbox install stops at blinking cursor

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

billwx
Young Hen

Minimal Fluxbox install stops at blinking cursor

Post by billwx » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:06

Hi all,

I had Sabayon Minimal (Fluxbox only) working on my old Dell laptop a few months ago. Now i am unable to install it on my Asus x44H in legacy mode with other OSs present in different partitions. I have tried the latest and next to latest minimal releases, downloaded multiple times, and written onto more than one usb stick so those seem not to be issues.

I copy the minimal iso onto the usb stick using the dd command, reboot to the usb, and it goes past the Sabayon logo to halt with nothing but a blinking cursor top left on a black screen.

The only differences from when it originally worked for me is that this is a different laptop and i now have other distros on it.

Any ideas to get me up and running with FB alone? Appreciated!

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Minimal Fluxbox install stops at blinking cursor

Post by Stupot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 20:36

Hmm, none that I can think of. The Asus x44H has an AMD GPU, so I wouldn't expect that to cause you any problems. When you get to that blinking cursor, can you hit ctrl + alt + F1 and get to a terminal?

billwx
Young Hen

Post by billwx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:08

Sadly, no. That key combination had no effect.
I was under the impression that i had Intel 3000 series GPU in this machine? I have upgraded the cpu to 2nd gen i5, and 8gb ram, but doubt those could be issues?
Thanks for any advice!

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Wed Jul 18, 2018 16:19

Maybe you do. The website says: "Intel® HD Graphics 3000 or AMD Radeon HD 6470M "

both brand gpus should be well supported out of the box from open source drivers.

billwx
Young Hen

Post by billwx » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25

Earlier tonight i had a friend download and attempt to install the March 18.04 minimal on his Dell Inspiron 3520. He is also set up in legacy mode. Both real install from usb and virtual box gave the same results i have gotten. "Live" (the first option) results in a black screen. "Text Install" ends with blinking cursor on a black screen.

I had this working fine on an old Inspiron 1545 a few months ago, but have since sold that laptop. I'd like to try an earlier version of minimal, but it seems not to be available on the mirrors I'm searching. Any suggestions there?

Has anyone successfully installed either of the latest 2 versions on a laptop? Thanks for any further advice.