nVidia driver dropped cards, what could be done? [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

nVidia driver dropped cards, what could be done? [Solved]

Post by msdobrescu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52

Hello,

This weekend updates upgraded my nVidia drivers from 390 to 396 (on kernel 4.16).
Then, I couldn't use the machine anymore after the first restart.
It booted, there it was a warning during the boot, regarding my card GPU being not supported anymore and ignored from now on. I have a 560Ti OC, which has a 256 bit bus, 1 GB GDDR5, still powerful. I've bought it years ago, costed about €250.
After the boot, it dropped to console, where no login was possible anymore, any attempt to enter some username was impossible.
Chars were ignored randomly, and all the time a message regarding the current machine name and time was displayed.
Worse, any attempt to skip to another console session made several consoles overlapping, flickering on the screen.
To add another level of craziness, the prompt was flooded by the firewall output - a thing noticed frequently anyway.
Worst, a hysterical disk activity occurred indefinitely.
After a hard time in the repairing console - due to online package access impossibility - I have chrooted in a live boot with the latest ISO (version 18.xx) and I've downloaded there the packages and went back to the repairing console where I could apply some packages.
Eventually, I could open X.org again, by removing the nvidia drivers, whitelisting Nouveau, removing the xorg.conf, when X.org started to run again automatically. But, now, I have a low FPS in KDE, using the Nouveau driver, no more than 21, that makes me dizzy. It's like working with a remote desktop on the Moon! It drops too many frames, so it looks fragmented.

As always, although I have spammed some other post, thinking I have some similar source of the problem, I have been helped by advanced users here, thank you very much for that and for understanding. The suggestion was to use an older kernel with an old nVidia driver.
Well, that combination ruins my experience again, due to movie/TV video issues, that crashes VLC randomly (I watch TV every day on it).

So, I have two options, I think:
- Continue with Nouveau - that means to find a way to fix the FPS, if that is possible although I don't know how - but I've read that is dangerous, it could overheat the video card and burn it.
- Find a way to revert to nVidia 390 drivers version - is that even possible? Is there some statistics to allow knowing which driver version to keep in the repos, if it is agreed to have kind of LTS nVidia drivers compiled for as highier kernel version as possible, as long as it works?

I try to avoid purchasing another expensive video card as long as the current one works fine.

What do you think?
What can I do?
Last edited by msdobrescu on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:23, edited 1 time in total.

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Re: nVidia driver dropped cards, what could be done?

Post by msdobrescu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:08

Hi, I was looking in the Sabayon's repos, and found that x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-396.24#4.16.0-sabayon is the latest nVidia driver, while the latest supported driver for my card is 396.18 - BETA. I've looked up to GeForce 10 Series and there is no 396.24 driver version. Where is Sabayon's driver from? Could be a bug regarding the unsupported GPU message?

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:44

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Post by albfneto » Tue Jun 05, 2018 21:49

this driver, that you need can be found in the Gentoo Overlay bobwya:

https://gpo.zugaina.org/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers

i add this info to your request,
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:22

Case solved! Thank you everybody!