gnome wayland

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

henrythemouse
Baby Hen

gnome wayland

Post by henrythemouse » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:48

I am using a fresh install of Sabayon, running Gnome3. It is my understanding that gnome 3.22 uses Wayland by default. Thus, when one logs in (gdm) the default session selection (gnome) should start gnome running wayland. One is additionally offered sessions Gnome Xorg and Gnome Classic to choose from. In my case there is also an additional "Gnome" session listed. I've tried starting gnome using the two "Gnome" session selections, but gnome always starts in Xorg. Wayland is installed although I haven't done anything in the way of configuring it.

I'm using the nouveau graphics driver on a two year old Thinkpad and have and do currently use wayland on alternate partitions. If anyone using Sabayon gnome and Wayland can point me towards a solution I'd be grateful.

TIA

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Re: gnome wayland

Post by msdobrescu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 19:56

Hi, I'd like to switch my KDE to wayland/weston too.
I can't find a proper documentation. Did you?

alkay
Baby Hen

Post by alkay » Wed Dec 13, 2017 0:39

Was this ever resolved?
I have the same issue on 2 different machines. One is a brand new series 8 intel laptop.
I need wayland so I can pair comfortably with my 4k monitor (different DPI's on each monitor which Xorg cannot handle.)

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 22:53

Not as far as I know.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Mon Dec 18, 2017 0:54

I've started up KDE Wayland sessions a few times, should just be a matter of installing kde-frameworks/kwayland and kde-plasma/kwayland-integration.

As far as GNOME goes, I don't know. Sorry.

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:18

If I choose KDE Wayland, it remains in a frozen console asking for the login. The only way to take it out of that state is to press the computer's power button and it shuts down.