Plasma 5 Crashing for one user [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

HawkEye4077
Young Hen

Plasma 5 Crashing for one user [Solved]

Post by HawkEye4077 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 17:57

Hi Folks,

Well updated to KDE 5 and I have to admit I like it :)

I am having some issues though as under my user account it is a bit flaky but generally ok, however if my wife logs into her account it keeps crashing whenever you touch ANY KDE component. I tried deleting the old .KDE and .Local folders and letting the system recreate them but that didn't help in the slightest.

As I can't get into any KDE setting on her account I can't try tweaking things however other apps work fine, FireFox, Thunderbird etc as long as I use Alt+F2.

I'm a bit stuck on where to start with this so any advice would be appreciated. I'd rather not recreate the account from scratch but if that is what it takes - so be it.

Thanks for any help
Neil
Last edited by HawkEye4077 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:17, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Neil

Linux Registered User 324599

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Plasma 5 Crashing for one user

Post by Stupot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:34

A lot of apps store their configs in ~/.config You might want to try renaming that to ~/.config_back and rebooting and see if that fixes it for you.

HawkEye4077
Young Hen

Re: Plasma 5 Crashing for one user

Post by HawkEye4077 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 18:48

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, I always seem to forget that folder.

Tried it and it made no difference sadly. I also tried creating a new user and that did exactly the same so only my account works even close to correctly.

Could this be a permissions issue? My account is the only 'admin' account on the box Just an idea but no idea how to track this down if it is the case.

Neil
Regards
Neil

HawkEye4077
Young Hen

Re: Plasma 5 Crashing for one user [Solved]

Post by HawkEye4077 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:17

Hi

Ok this is irritating. Fixing this issue turned out to be as simple as adding a user to the Video Group!!?? SO happy it's working but why do new users not get added auto to that group if they need to be in it or is this something new that has been missed up to this point?

Anyway in the hopes it helps someone else with KDE5 on Sab you appear to need to be a member of the Video group for KDE to work.

Cheers
Neil
Regards
Neil

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Sat Sep 19, 2015 15:54

I recall seeing a few other users run into this issue as well. It depends on how you add a new user, but you want your user to be a member of a number of groups if they are using the desktop. But you could be making a new user that's remote access only and for security not have them as a part of the video group, etc.

HawkEye4077
Young Hen

Post by HawkEye4077 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 15:01

Hi,

That makes sense and something I didn't consider. Both of the accounts involved however were existing accounts so not something I had considered since KDE4 just worked.

Maybe a sticky on the board somewhere would be a good idea for people experiencing crashes?? Just an idea.

Neil
Regards
Neil