KDE 5?

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Re: KDE 5?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 16:21

Plasma 5: Welcome to the era of Windows 8.1 and smartphones. I don't like the look either, msdobrescu. It's bad enough having to put up with a flat, bland, minimalist look in Windows 8.1. The KDE developers have just mimicked Windows 8.1 and Android rather than coming up with something novel.

Anyway, you can try out KDE with Plasma 5 for yourself in VirtualBox by downloading the so-called Neon 5 ISO (Ubuntu 14.04 ISO with KDE and the latest builds of Plasma 5) from the KDE Web site:

http://files.kde.org/snapshots/neon5-la ... mirrorlist

As in KDE 4, you can change the theme and icons etc via System Settings. No doubt people will create themes for Plasma 5 which mimic the earlier KDE 4 look, just like people did for KDE 4 in order to mimic the KDE 3 look.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Sun Aug 17, 2014 17:18

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Plasma 5: Welcome to the era of Windows 8.1 and smartphones. I don't like the look either, msdobrescu. It's bad enough having to put up with a flat, bland, minimalist look in Windows 8.1. The KDE developers have just mimicked Windows 8.1 and Android rather than coming up with something novel.

You have expressed so well my thoughts, Fitzcarraldo. To me, KDE 4 was a step forward. Plasma 5 could be the same, but I really hate the rush of some in adopting Windows concepts, as people lost the will of being different and search for diversity... In the past that was the pride of the creative people. Do we become that exhausted?
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Postby Stupot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 19:05

KDE has always been the most customizable DE in Linux. Complaining about the default looks of the next version of KDE makes absolutely no sense to me because you'll be able to change it. The transition to KDE 5 (kdelibs + plasma + applications) is about so much more than a new theme, as I'm sure most people in this thread are aware of.

But just in case you aren't, and haven't bothered to read anything about it, here's the quick and dirty:

1) kdelibs is becoming more modular. What this boils down to is that building an application on kdelibs 5 will pull in less kde libraries, thus the resulting application will be slimmer.

2) Wayland support, both in plasma and applications compiled against kdelibs (although it's not completely done yet, the framework is there).

3) Making use of qt5 (which is also where a lot of wayland support comes from), specifically rewritting things in Qt QML. This makes kde applications more consistent and easier to write and maintain.

Sure, they are making a new default theme that is more in line with what is popular today. Although it seems that most of what is heard about Oxygen is negative things, so it's no surprise they are changing it. But you will be able to change the theme to your hearts content, if not immediately upon release, soon enough. To imply that KDE plasma 5 is a step backwards because of it's default theme is not only niave, but hurtful to the project as it gives people who are unaware of what KDE 5 is all about the wrong impression.

Anyways, that's the end of my rant, as I believe I not only got my point across, but also clarified the situation for anyone who is simply reading this thread without bothering to read any other information about KDE 5.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48

I use KDE because is a highly customizable DE. From development point of view, I agree that modularity is good.
But to say Windows-like theme is popular...? Windows always came with some look, the users have not much choices, except for some third party software that help them to customize it. If you ask me, I think that Windows 8 came with a simplified API for GUI, probably rewritten, as an intermediary step, that made people complain about the look, not always because people got used to the Vista/7 GUI, or that people are inertial and tend to reject changes, but Windows 8 GUI is not what a desktop user expects. There is no fun in that...IMHO. And really, I would have expected some more creativity from the KDE team, instead of adopting a similar default theme as Windows. They might have lost the momentum itself, as when new KDE + Plasma 5 would be adopted, the others would have adopted a new look already... And me, I like more the so blamed plastic look of KDE 4 and Oxygen...
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Previous

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers