XFCE Switch User menu item missing [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

XFCE Switch User menu item missing [Solved]

Postby Dingdong » Wed Jun 25, 2014 23:45

I use OpenSuse 13.1 Xfce desktop and am trying Sabayon with Xfce desktop (fresh installation) in a VirtualBox.

On OpenSuse Xfce desktop at the right end of the Panel shows the user name. If you click on the user name there is a pull down menu with items "Lock Screen, Log Out, Switch User, Suspend, Hibernate, Restart, Shutdown".

"Switch User" allows me to Log In and switch to a second user without Log Out of the first user. The first user's applications continue to run.

Where can I find "Switch User" menu item on Sabayon with Xfce desktop?

Ding
Last edited by Dingdong on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:02, edited 1 time in total.
Dingdong
Baby Hen

Re: XFCE Switch User nenue item missing

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:12

Install xfce-extra/xfswitch-plugin-0.0.1-r1 (it's in the Entropy repository) and see if that adds it.

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- ... tch-plugin
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Dingdong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:36

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Install xfce-extra/xfswitch-plugin-0.0.1-r1 (it's in the Entropy repository) and see if that adds it.

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- ... tch-plugin

Switching users now works with a icon on the panel to switch users. The menu item "Action Buttons"-> "Switch User" is grayed out. Any idea how to activate the menu "Switch User" menu item?
Dingdong
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:44

It appears you would have to replace LightDM with GDM as the Desktop Manager: Xfce "Switch User" greyed out in Action Panel Pulldown Menu. Presumably that's why the alternative (xfswitch-plugin) was written: for people who don't (want to) use GDM and its GNOME dependencies: Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 411921 - xfce-extra/xfswitch-plugin should not unconditionally depend on gdm.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: XFCE Switch User menue item missing

Postby Dingdong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:00

Fitzcarraldo wrote:It appears you would have to replace LightDM with GDM as the Desktop Manager: Xfce "Switch User" greyed out in Action Panel Pulldown Menu. Presumably that's why the alternative (xfswitch-plugin) was written: for people who don't (want to) use GDM and its GNOME dependencies: Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 411921 - xfce-extra/xfswitch-plugin should not unconditionally depend on gdm.

Thanks.

OpenSuse 13.1 Xfce with only Desktop uses lightdm, but both lightdm and gdm are installed.
Anyway it works now and the problem is fixed.
Dingdong
Baby Hen

Re: XFCE Switch User menu item missing

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:11

Yes, but did you disable the LightDM service and enable the GDM service? Not that I've tried, but I imagine one would need to do something along the following lines in order to switch from LightDM to GDM in a systemd-based SL installation:

Code: Select all
# equo install gdm
# equo remove lightdm
# systemctl disable lightdm.service
# systemctl enable gdm.service
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: XFCE Switch User menu item missing

Postby Dingdong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 15:24

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Yes, but did you disable the LightDM service and enable the GDM service? Not that I've tried, but I imagine one would need to do something along the following lines in order to switch from LightDM to GDM in a systemd-based SL installation:

Code: Select all
# equo install gdm
# equo remove lightdm
# systemctl disable lightdm.service
# systemctl enable gdm.service

Does not work. Results in a "Oh no! Something has gone wrong" ...

Lightdm and xfswitch only works fine. Just enable Panel -> Xfswitch and Panel -> Action Buttons. Action Buttons -> Switch User. This will let you switch users (except root) and display the active user name in the Panel as Action Bottoms.

Have not figured out how OpensSuse does it Lightdm and gdm installed without xfswitch.
Dingdong
Baby Hen

Re: XFCE Switch User menu item missing [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 15:39

Don't have the same installation as you, so it's difficult for me to comment further. If LightDM and xfswitch does what you want, stick with that!
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Dingdong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 15:52

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Don't have the same installation as you, so it's difficult for me to comment further. If LightDM and xfswitch does what you want, stick with that!

Will stick with LightDm and xfswitch. Works perfectly except that I can't switch to and log in as root with Xfce Desktop. This is another matter apperently prevented by some policy restrictions .
Dingdong
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Jun 26, 2014 16:45

In general, you shouldn't be logging in as root into any DE. Security reasons mainly, but it's also just unnecessary.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers