KDE 4.11: Cannot set Superkaramba plasmoid settings [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

KDE 4.11: Cannot set Superkaramba plasmoid settings [Solved]

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:50

Hallo. This is due to Ritana.
I really love your desktop. I am interested in clocks, myself I have installed 'time keeper'.
Now I would just like to install the 3d clock, you have on your desktop here (left side):
http://i44.tinypic.com/t9t7ig.jpg
So, I went to this website:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/3Dclock24hwithSec?content=153337
and downloaded that (superkaramba) plasmoid. Then I have opened 'add plasmoid from superkaramba' on my desktop to add it into list, then I opened 'add plasmoids' again and selected 3D Desktop clock.
Now I can see the time in 3D, but I can't change settings, nor I can't move it, neither resize it.
I've reinstalled superkaramba. Nothing changed. Can you use settings? How do you achieve it?
Thank you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Sabayon 13.10 64bit, Kernel 3.11.2, KDE 4.11.1
Last edited by linuxfluesterer on Sat Oct 12, 2013 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: KDE 4.11: Can not set Superkaramba plasmoid settings

Postby Ritana » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:27

Hello :)

It's easier than you might think :) I shall try to tell it step by step.

If you have already got the Superkaramba, then : Menu -> Applications -> Utilities -> Desktop widgets (Superkaramba)

Then, click on the 'Get New Stuff' and look for the '3D Clock 24 hours with second hands' (or some similar name), and click Install button. Now, you can simply drop this item to a place on your desktop. If the widget not locked you can move anywhere you want simply by the mouse.

Now, you must open the file ~/.superkaramba/153337-3Dclock24hwithSec.rc file to edit:

[internal]
desktop=1
lockedPosition=false

[theme]
widgetHeight=220
widgetPosX=1250
widgetPosY=573
widgetWidth=490

(if you haven't got yet you should make a new file with the same name placed into the .superkaramba folder.)

As you can see, here you can modify everything you want ! :) To have the clock on all your desktops just set the 'desktop' variable to 0.

Finally, if you want to add your new Superkaramba theme to Autostart just go to the ~/kde4/Autostart folder and make a new (executable) desktop file for doing this:

[Desktop Entry]
Exec=superkaramba /home/ritana/.kde4/share/apps/superkaramba/themes/153337-3Dclock24hwithSec.skz
Name=3D Clock
StartupNotify=false
Type=Application

And at last:
chmod +x 153337-3Dclock24hwithSec.desktop

That's all. Have a luck ;)
LOVE is the only socially acceptable form of insanity

3.16Ghz Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo E8500; 6Gb Kingston DDR2 1066 Mhz,
SAMSUNG 830 SSD, Samsung HD1109 2 Tb, NVIDIA 610gt
Linux 3.12.0-sabayon, KDE 4.12.-64 bit
Ritana
Simple Hen

Postby Ritana » Sat Oct 12, 2013 13:12

Okay. I've found out what would be your problem. There are TWO 3D clock Karamba widgets and one of them (named as 3D clock with seconds) doesn't work on my system either. So, use '3D clock 24h with seconds' instead.

Ritana
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 13:54

Hallo Ritana.
Thank you a lot. You've explained it perfectly.
I know some things about KDE, about plasmoids and I've added some nvidia superkaramba widgets before, which I could make work somehow.
But now I understand more about superkaramba, though, I have another superkaramba widget (134117-system_monitor.skz) which is always at startup of my KDE, but I did NOT add it to my Autostart.
Funny?

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: KDE 4.11: Cannot set Superkaramba plasmoid settings [Sol

Postby Ritana » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09

Hello Fellow :D

I'm just here to let you know there is a sweet clock plasmoid in the Repositories named as adjustable clock. Interestingly, it's not reachable from the Plasma widget downloader just from repo... I've just tried it and made some cute desktop clocks with it. (it has a lots of in-built well-configurable skins but you can make your own themes quite easily as well)

You should have a look at them:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/n2bls3.jpg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2j0bdjo.jpg

http://oi39.tinypic.com/4ikabb.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2py5geo.jpg

:)
Last edited by Ritana on Mon Oct 21, 2013 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Ritana
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 15:58

Hallo Ritana.
Very nice clock plasmoid. I've downloaded it and then first I could install as plasmoid and chosed like on your pic:
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2py5geo.jpg

Ok, so far so good. But when I wanted to create my own pasmoid (I don't have any notion about, where to insert the components), my plasma desktop completely disappeared (crashed, black screen) and then returned after some seconds.
Did you appear this also? What did you do then?
Could you give me an exampls qml script pls? I would appreciate that, really.
Thank you in advance.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Ritana » Thu Oct 17, 2013 21:47

Sorry for delaying. I saw your comment but I was at the University so I couldn't respond it.

But now, I will elaborate this issue as far as I can. :D

First the first: normally, If you want a a new plasmoid you need to click Add widgets -> Get new widget -> Download new plasmoid widget. But somehow, in this case this way doesn't work, so use your package manager instead. (simply go ahead to use your Rigo and type 'adjustable clock' in the search bar and install it)

And yes, I've also experienced that disappearing desktop thing since my system has been upgraded to KDE 4.11. (amongst other annoying things)

So, before showing you some witchcraft for KDE I better to tell you what to do when your KDE desktop utterly collapsed :D

The first aid is quite simple: find your ~/.kde4/share/cpnfig/plasma-desktop-appletsrc file (it's a so long config file, don't be surprised) and delete the entry of the last element (widget) you've added the desktop (for searching use Ctrl-F)
Don't worry, you needn't re-install anything :)

So, now you have already get your prospective plasmoid app, you need to play a bit with skins and settings (there are a lot, you can simply adjust it just like any other widgets)

But I'm sure it's not enough for you because you are just like me. :D So, let's make our own desktop clock by clicking the at the under-right corner of the Appearance panel. (I've chosen the QML format option but the format itself couldn't be vital important I think)

So you can simply edit this HTML/QML contest , save and (if you are lucky :D) it will be set on automatically.

Okay, so far so clear, I guess.

If you need HTML examples I suggest you to view codes of the in-built themes. I mean, just download the source of this widget (from here, perhaps: http://kde-apps.org/content/download.php?content=92825&id=1&tan=71059266 ), unpack and go to the ./applet/themes/name_of_thechosen_theme/config folder.

I think here is that you are looking for. :)

Ritana
Simple Hen

Postby Ritana » Thu Oct 17, 2013 22:32

Or no. It's wrong. I can't see any useful example here :(

Ritana
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:42

Hallo Ritana.
I'm really sorry for late reply, but maybe you've read about my big trouble with loss of my JFS-1Terabyte external harddisk. So, I tried to save and rescue, then I've searched for data on other storages. I'm back with my data with about 70 to 80%. More I don't expect to receive. My notebook itself is not involved. So, I've made an upgrade today to:
Sabayon 13.11, 64bit
KDE 4.11.2
my Kernel now is 3.11.4
I've read your pre post and I have checked my ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc.
The last lines show this:
Code: Select all
[...
Containments][48][Applets][95][LayoutInformation]
Order=4

[Containments][48][Configuration]
maximumSize=1366,35
minimumSize=1366,35

[General]
immutability=1

I'm not really sure, that adjustable clock is part of that rc file...
I will go on test with your suggestions.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Ritana » Tue Oct 22, 2013 13:26

No, the entries of the appletsrc file aren't ordered by creation time :D

So you should use Ctrl+F to find them somewhere inside.

The another important folder of this issue is your ~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma/adjustableclock/ folder. Here you can find the user defined settings so if some QML code had turned very wrong (which can cause the entire plasma environment collapsed perhaps) simply just make this folder empty.

Anyway, I still use 3.10 kernel. I don't trust in 3.11 (yet :D ). And I store my important stuffs in a RAID1 structure (my drives are pretty old except of the SSD)

Ritana
Simple Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers