Login Screen/Lock Screen glitch (Two login Prompts) [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Login Screen/Lock Screen glitch (Two login Prompts) [Solved]

Postby Eschin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 0:04

Hello, new here, so hopefully I'm posting this in the appropriate spot (Looked around, and it seems to be the most appropriate) :)

Been searching for similar issue(s) for the better part of the day, and I can't find anyone having remotely similar problems (for all I know, it could be a mis-configured feature)

Basically, I get two login prompts on my locked screen, see image below.
I was also getting the same issue right after boot, at the initial login screen. I fixed that by making KDM my default display manager at boot(changed from lightdm). However, I still get these two login prompts whenever I lock my screen.

Any tips would be appreciated :) ~Thanks

Eschin
Baby Hen

Re: Login Screen/Lock Screen glitch (Two login Prompts)

Postby Stupot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:22

Try renaming ~/.kde to ~/.kde_back (or it might be ~/.kde4 instead of ~/.kde)

Then log out and log back in. This will reset all of your kde settings (a pain I know). But, if that fixes it, you can add back parts of your configurations and see when the problem comes back. Just restore everything besides the problematic part. Or just reconfigure everything instead of copying it back.

If that doesn't fix the problem, post back so we know the problem isn't there.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Eschin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 19:47

Stupot wrote:Try renaming ~/.kde to ~/.kde_back (or it might be ~/.kde4 instead of ~/.kde)

Then log out and log back in. This will reset all of your kde settings (a pain I know). But, if that fixes it, you can add back parts of your configurations and see when the problem comes back. Just restore everything besides the problematic part. Or just reconfigure everything instead of copying it back.

If that doesn't fix the problem, post back so we know the problem isn't there.

Went ahead and gave this a try, it definitely reset everything to defaults, and still two login screens/prompts on the lock screen :(

Any other suggestions would be appreciated :)

A bit more info... seems like whenever I log in, there's a faint outline of a "picture in picture" window in the same spot that the second login prompt appears, this vanishes once the desktop environment is fully loaded. Almost like a feature is loading some sort of "sub desktop" or something.
Eschin
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 22:48

When you log in, does the extra screen go away?

It sounds like xdm is starting up twice somehow to me.

I'm not at my home system atm, so I'm not sure if this file is actually there, but I found this concerning the xdm log file:

The file /var/log/xdm.log will contain error messages from xdm and anything output to stderr by Xsetup, Xstartup, Xsession or Xreset. When you have trouble getting xdm working, check this file to see if xdm has any clues to the trouble.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Eschin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 22:01

Stupot wrote:It sounds like xdm is starting up twice somehow to me.

This was the eureka statement for me, and I feel silly for forgetting this... but my laptop has two video cards, an integrated intel, and a discrete nVidia.

So I commented out the nVidia card in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (I can't comment out the weaker intel card, as all video feed to the monitor has to go through that card. Disabling it results in no image)

Anyhow, disabling the secondary nVidia card in xorg.conf fixed the problem, and I no longer have two login prompts on the lock screen =D

So somehow, it was sending two video feeds to the same monitor, is my understanding o.O I'll have to keep poking around to find a better fix without disabling my nVidia card... since I'd like to do some high end 3d stuff in linux from time to time.
Eschin
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Sep 19, 2013 23:02

Ahh, well that it is. I haven't ever really dealt with Bumblebee, but I'd guess that your issue lies somewhere with it.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers