Xfce, NetworkManager and passwords

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Xfce, NetworkManager and passwords

Postby ElDuderino » Tue Jul 30, 2013 19:08

Hi,

I used KDE4 on my Netbook with KWallet storing/managing my WLAN-Keys. Then I switched to Xfce, which is nice, but when using Xfce, NetworkManager never remembers the keys and I have to enter them again (if I have them at hand!). When I go back to KDE, NM can access the keys (after I unlock the wallet). No matter if I enter a key in Xfce for the first time ever, or if I have entered them in KDE before (thus having it stored in the wallet), in Xfce, no saved keys are accessed, and no new keys are saved.

So I'm thinking this is because the keys are in the "wallet", which Xfce cannot/does not access. I have configured it to start KDE services, though ---> no change.

Any ideas?
ElDuderino
Growing Hen

Re: Xfce, NetworkManager and passwords

Postby life-on-mars » Wed Jul 31, 2013 13:06

I think XFCE4 is using seahorse instead of kwallet. Did you install that?
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby ElDuderino » Wed Jul 31, 2013 15:59

I have it installed, but I have Xfce configured to load the KDE service environment (or something like that), which I figured would include starting the wallet service.
ElDuderino
Growing Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Wed Jul 31, 2013 16:34

I don't think KDE and XFCE are using the same applet for NetworkManager. You would have to run the right applet to access KWallet. I think I once installed a KDE app in a Gnome environment, and it required KWallet to store passwords. It should be the same for Gnome apps running under KDE, or in this case an XFCE applet that doesn't support KDE.
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby ElDuderino » Wed Jul 31, 2013 19:44

Hm, ok. Xfce uses nm-applet, KDE something else. If I am running Xfce, 'ps -A' shows me nm-applet (Gnome's thingy), when in KDE, it's not there.

For now, I just re-entered the key in Xfce, so it is saved twice on my computer. Not very elegant, but it works.

Just wondering if there is a way to use the keys in the wallet without entering them again...
ElDuderino
Growing Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:44

Perhaps it's possible to export the keys from Kwallet and then import them into Seahorse.
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers