HELP - Gnome 3.8 drops fallback mode!?!?! [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

HELP - Gnome 3.8 drops fallback mode!?!?! [Solved]

Postby LazyGentooGuy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 18:08

My work laptop is completely unusable after the latest equo upgrade. Gnome 3 was an abomination in terms of how it disrupted user experience. The saving grace was fallback mode, allowing me to run it with gnome-panel

Now that gnome-desktop-3.8 is installed, gnome-panel is no longer available. I am unable to login to my existing account. I created a new account and the option for fallback mode is missing. gnome-panel got purged and is no longer available in entropy.

How can I revert to gnome 3.6? How can I prevent equo upgrade from installing gnome 3.8 on my other systems? I saw https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162110 which talks about gnome-flashback - is this something the Sabayon developers would consider including? Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated.

I use Sabayon for work and I don't have the time to get into KDE configuration and customization. I simply can't use the Gnome3 shell (I realize this is gnome's fault and not Sabayon). Maybe I'll switch to Mint where i can at least keep a usable Gnome instance...
LazyGentooGuy
Baby Hen

Re: HELP - Gnome 3.8 drops fallback mode!?!?!

Postby LazyGentooGuy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 20:37

Well I discovered MATE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_%28de ... ronment%29 which will get me through the day. Seems to work OK and was able to log back in to my account.

I also noticed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controvers ... lback_Mode it talks about fallback mode being removed from Gnome 3.8, but now "includes a new 'Classic mode'". Anyone know anything about this and how to go about getting it enabled?
LazyGentooGuy
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Wed Jul 10, 2013 22:31

I don't think we have it (yet).
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby LazyGentooGuy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:45

Well it looks like Gnome Classic mode is now available; today's equo upgrade and reboot gave me a "Gnome Classic" session option.

I was able to log back in under Gnome Classic (no more "oops something went wrong" errors). While it does somewhat resemble the old Gnome 2.x system, it is also still too similar to Gnome 3.x for my tastes. I can't add items to the panel, like system monitor appliet, custom launchers, etc.

Stuck with Mate which so far has allowed me to do everything I used to do, including the older style gnome-applets, using xscreensaver/rss-glx over gnome-screensaver (or mate-screensaver in this case).

Marking this solved since classic mode is now available to replace fallback mode

Thanks Sabayon maintainers for keeping options open and not forcing us into something we're not comfortable with
Last edited by LazyGentooGuy on Wed Jul 17, 2013 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
LazyGentooGuy
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12

To mark a thread/topic as solved you have to click on EDIT for the first post, not your last post. I'll do it for you this time.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers