Multiple DE

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Multiple DE

Postby Beerforfree » Sat Jun 22, 2013 21:36

Any tips how to have 2 DEs like Gnome and KDE installed and choose them by Session
Beerforfree
Young Hen

Re: Multiple DE

Postby cmost » Sun Jun 23, 2013 0:03

You can have any number of DEs installed. Simply select the one you want from the logon screen (e.g., KDM or GDM) before typing your password.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby Beerforfree » Sun Jun 23, 2013 16:39

You mean I only need to install a new DE using equo and every thing is done without any additional intervention?
thanks
Beerforfree
Young Hen

Postby cmost » Sun Jun 23, 2013 22:17

More or less. For example, I wanted to try out Cinnamon. I downloaded the packages (and dependencies) from Sulfur; logged out and viola! Cinnamon was available as a DE in the sessions drop-down in KDM. It's easy! :D If you don't like the new DE, simply go back to Sulfur (or Rigo, whatever package manager you like) and remove it.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby albfneto » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:39

i use multiple DEs.

in almost all the cases, you may install the packages of the DE, using RIGO or equo command, then reboot and acess o your new DE.

in Sabayon this is easy, and pratically without conflicts.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Beerforfree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:56

What's about removing one, after a while I decide to remove Gnome following the instruction on the wiki
now I get a logon for localhost.localdomain and I have no clue which he login/passwd are.

Is there a way to get in with a default user?
su, root, etc no one did work

If I choose Advanced options for Sabayon when booting and then recovery mode I'm able to login as root, but I don't know how to go forth and can't see my original home directory as regular user. Can it be that reoving a DE deletes user files as well?
Beerforfree
Young Hen

Postby matuss » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09

Removing DE can't remove your files. At most, it can delete it's own configuration.

Use same user and password as before, users and passwords should be unaffected.
matuss
Baby Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:59

albfneto wrote:i use multiple DEs.

in almost all the cases, you may install the packages of the DE, using RIGO or equo command, then reboot and acess o your new DE.

in Sabayon this is easy, and pratically without conflicts.

I tried to install Cinnamon on Sabayon MATE, as well and XFCE4 on a Sabayon Gnome, and it didn't really work out the way I thought. Cinnamon doesn't have a meta package and I ended up with an incomplete installation, and the XFCE4 meta package is lacking basic components (such as the audio mixer plugin for the task bar).
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby Beerforfree » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:21

I got with the issue, there is a config file for the display manager in which I made a typo wrote xdm instead of lxdm
DISPLAYMANAGER="lxdm"

what make me wonder is that accessing through the sabayon recovery mode a lot of stuff isn't mounted, that's the reason why I couldn't see my home. Is there a reason that for?
Beerforfree
Young Hen

Postby Beerforfree » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:21

I got with the issue, there is a config file for the display manager in which I made a typo wrote xdm instead of lxdm
DISPLAYMANAGER="lxdm"

what make me wonder is that accessing through the sabayon recovery mode a lot of stuff isn't mounted, that's the reason why I couldn't see my home. Is there a reason that for?
Beerforfree
Young Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers