How can I completely reset an existing users xfce config?

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

How can I completely reset an existing users xfce config?

Postby joe3 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 22:26

OK I've got a problem with starting xfce for my regular user on my newly installed copy of Sabayon_Linux_13.04_amd64_Xfce.iso...

Is there a way to FORCE xfce to treat my user account as a new account and set me up with a default desktop???

I'm a dedicated startx user but I don't think that's the problem because I have no problem starting enlightenment. Both e16 and e17 start correctly.

But when I edit my ~.xinitrc to use /usr/bin/startxfce4 instead of /usr/bin/starte16 or /usr/bin/enlightenment_start, it starts to initialize. BUT then it detects existence of the display screen it just created and decides that X is already running...

The focus changes to what would be tty7 which goes to a blank screen which never develops into an xfce session. Though if I include another command in my ~/.xinitrc file that command executes on tty7

IE if my ~/.xinitrc contains these 2 lines:

Code: Select all
konsole &
/usr/bin/enlightenment_start

then E17 will already have an open konsole window when e17 loads. AND e17 itself will start properly. BUT if instead my ~/.xinitrc has these 2 lines:

[/code]
konsole &
/usr/bin/startxfce4
[/code]

then a konsole session will open in a borderless window of an other wise blank screen. I can use the konsole's command line to start applications {including SOME xfce components, some of which fail to function properly though} But I can type firefox and then use that to browse the web. etc... But clicking on the blank space that should be the desktop does nothing, and I can't log out. Though I can switch back to tty1 {from which I ran startx} and kill it with a ^C...

I note that ON tty1, when I switch to it I'll see this:

/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0

But that is where that konsole window was...

When I ran startx as root I got a working xfce session.

When I ran startx as the initial user account that the installer insisted on creating with a UID of 1000 {and which I will never use except for test purposes} and used a copy of that same simple 2 line .xinitrc, I got a working xfce session.

When I created a new user account {user name silly) for testing purposes, and again used the same 2 lines in an ~/.xinitrc, I got a working xfce session...

My own user ID, (which has the same group permissions as the installer gave user 1000) however doesn't get a working xfce session... just the konsole window. I had used mc to copy my user home directory from my previous defunct Sabayon installation to a data partition prior to letting the installer format the old Sabayon partition for reuse as my new Sabayon partition. Then I copied it back to /home on the newly installed Sabayon 13.04, and used useradd to recreate my user with the same UID I'd used on the old Sabayon system... This preserved a lot of configuration files, including all my e17 user settings, as well as my opera and firefox settings etc... But when I poked around I found some OLD (2010) xfce files from when I'd tried to add xfce to the E17 spin iso I'd installed Sabayon from last time. That xfce installation never worked right. So I thought that something in one or more of those files must be the cause of the trouble...

So I tried hunting down and deleting every file that looked like it had anything to do with xfce in an attempt to get a new default xfce configuration... And yes, I looked on places like ~/.config and even ~/.cache/sessions etc...

Didn't work.

So opened a root shell and did a
chown -R jtwdyp:jtwdyp /home/silly

and then used mc to again hunt down and purge every file i could find that had anything to do with xfce and replaced them with copies of the ones in the /home/silly/ tree

Didn't work.

That's why I gotta ask. Is there a way to FORCE xfce to treat my user account as a new account and set me up with a default desktop???

--
Joe3

NOTE to self: must either chown it all back or just userdel silly...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: How can I completely reset an existing users xfce config

Postby joost » Thu Jun 13, 2013 22:36

Hi Joe3!

I didn't read the entire post but to quickly answer how to mimic the behaviour that resets the system default for a user, here is how it works.

We ship all homedir default settings in /etc/skel

If you make a new user and the homedir gets created it copies all the files from /etc/skel into the new homedir. So what you want to do is remove everything in that /home/user directory and copy over everything from /etc/skel

(and obviously do that as the user to prevent permission issues)
joost
Sagely Hen

Re: How can I completely reset an existing users xfce config

Postby joe3 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:41

joost wrote:Hi Joe3!

I didn't read the entire post but to quickly answer how to mimic the behaviour that resets the system default for a user, here is how it works.

We ship all homedir default settings in /etc/skel

This much I knew...

If you make a new user and the homedir gets created it copies all the files from /etc/skel into the new homedir. So what you want to do is remove everything in that /home/user directory and copy over everything from /etc/skel

Thanks for the clue joost. But that feels to me a bit like swatting a fly with an A-bomb... Especially since from my point of view, xfce would only be the back-up WM/DE for those rare occasions when I've borked my e17 AND my e16...

My homedir is chalk full of time consuming customizations... Twas the whole reason I copied it from my previous Sabayon installation. I do know how to start from scratch. But it generally takes me three days or more to find and remember all the little tweaks.

I was hoping for a way to reset just the xfce environment. I feel like I shouldn't have to destroy my e17 environment, and all my application configurations to do it.

If for example, it was e17's user config that was borked, I'd only have to recursively replace "$HOME/.e/", the rest of my configurations would be left intact...

If it was e16, the target would be just "$HOME/.e16/"... And I suspect that for kde the damage would still be limited to "$HOME/.kde/" & "$HOME/.kde4/" Though it's been such a long time since I've tried to actually run kde that I can't be completely sure of that...

(and obviously do that as the user to prevent permission issues)

Well either that or just use chown -R to restore my user ownership of the modified $HOME file tree... {grin}

--
joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers